TLC DAY FOR A PIG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So, since the pig is sans bash plate currently due to a busy week last week and all the BMW shops being closed Saterday morning (need some new mounts) I took the pig out for a road ride yesterday morning. I became more aware of the "excessive" movement of the left hand side of the instrument assembly compared to the right hand side, I noticed it before off road but it was still evident on the road.

So striptease time!
dsc017108ae.jpg

So a quick examination showed a captive nut had pulled out of the beak.

dsc017076fw.jpg

So a quick go with epoxy and then some reinforcement later with pratley putty a coat of primer and gloss black and she looked like new (sorry no photo).

But this was not substantial enough to be the problem, so a bit more checking of the manual, bolts etc and then duh, there is a bolt on the right hand side, no bolt on the left?
dsc017170vk.jpg

So the obvious captive nut problem had been caused by the missing bolt, symptom not cause. New nut hopefully now cured the instrument shake.

HEY, BUT THATS NOT ALL!

I then noticed a looked a well documented trail of oil spots on my rear rim!

dsc017032vg.jpg

After stripping out the wheel, we have the dreaded rear drive seal leak!

dsc017056xz.jpg

So remembering to replace the ABS sensor to keep gunge out of the drive we degrease.

dsc017066dk.jpg

Then we remove the drive, not essential but since I was this far in a regrease and torque of the paralever bearings was in order.

dsc017132tn.jpg

The we open the little baby up,

dsc017145ug.jpg

And heres the offending little bearing, sorry about the picture quality.

dsc017160br.jpg

So we will see today what the bearing and seal will cost me, and we will continue the story later.

Welshie :roll: :? 8)

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
?President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004