My CAT dropped its GUTS!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
OK, so I have posted some pics of how to gut a Cat, but mine was still intact???

I quite liked to ride without a can on the back and the old girl ran reasonably strong..... but it was suspect for water crossings  8) 8)

Then, I got another stocker exhaust with cat, so I thought what the hell :biggrin: :biggrin:
CatGut001.jpg

After some minor looks, I decided the new CAT had seen less rocks and km,s so lets gut the old one  ::) ::)

In  the process I found that I was busy losing the centre stand, bolts loose, but anyway lets continue......

Here we have a pair of CAT,s funny the mud is the same colour??? Beemer Man will have a fit, puting a dirty one back on, sacriledge..... :biggrin:

Anyway, I do the swap and duhhhhh? Clunk Clunk???? the old CAT goes CLUNK??? Turn it shake it it goes CLUNK??? OK got my ideas, but now glad I decided to gut the old one  8) 8)

So step one, cut a window in the outside, used a 4" B&D very lightweight home use only, but for this fine .....
CatGut002.jpg

Then you find a layer of "wool" easy to remove...
CatGut004.jpg

Then a layer of perforated plate easy to remove  ::) ::)
CatGut006.jpg

Eventually we get to the collector, this looks like a UTERUS and is the 2:1 bit that stuffs everything through the CAT and at least one silencing perforated section....
CatGut007.jpg

Oh bugger the Disk is finished, off to Builders Whorehouse a quick beer and Voila,....
CatGut008.jpg

CatGut009.jpg

So we slash out the top of it,not pretty but just creates a total bypass of the restrictive bits..., now, untill this point, no sign of the CLUNK?????

Ahaaaaaah, a well bounced around CAT!!!!! wonder for how long it has been bouncing around the walls????
CatGut010.jpg

So we remove as much of the collector as we can, and whoops overshoot a couple of time, careful guys.....

CatGut011.jpg

Tomorrow will get someone to weld the window back in.....   
CatGut012.jpg

So if I can anybody CAN  8) 8)