Shoei Hornet - feedback, best price, and a poll!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which finish will suit my afro bearded pip and poser image the best...

• Total voters

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
I am considering replacing my Arai TX - it's 2 1/2 years old now, has taken some knocks, and, to be honest, has seen better days!

I have considered a new Arai, the BMW Enduro, the Uvex Carbon and the Shoei Hornet. Right now, for various reasons, I am leaning heavily towards the Shoei.

Some of the reasons:
Arai: the heaviest of the bunch, most expensive
BMW: has the shortest jaw piece, very long neck strap. Is the cheapest though and still a consideration. Have heard negative things about the peak and vibration.
Uvex: have heard bad things about the peak and vibration, as well as rumours regarding the visor mechanism. Also hasn't had time to prove itself. Might still be a contender though - well priced and looks good.
(Disclaimer: this is what I've heard, via the grapevine. I am open to counter-arguments)

So... calling all Shoei Hornet owners - are you happy with your lid? Anything to report? I haven't heard anything negative on these lids, but what has your experience been? Any criticism or praise, or just real world feedback, would be most welcome.

Also - pricing? I've seen them at Trac Mac for 7k, but I can get them from MX alliance for R5 700 (plain colours) or R6 245 ("Sonora" - help my vinnig gaan strepies) plus R200 shipping. Is there anywhere else I can get them cheaper?

It seems the going rates for the others are:
Arai - 7k - 9k
BMW - 5k-something
Uvex - R5800

Have I got that right?

Anyhoo, like I said, gooi feedback...!

O, and, what would a wes thread be without a poll?  :thumleft: which one is gonna look most bling on my afro-bearded pip, vote now!!  :deal:

Attachments

• 2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Black.jpg
    2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Black.jpg
    30.7 KB
  • 2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Matte_Black.jpg
    2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Matte_Black.jpg
    24.2 KB
  • 2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Crystal_White.jpg
    2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Crystal_White.jpg
    23.3 KB
  • shoei-hornet-ds-sonora.jpg
    shoei-hornet-ds-sonora.jpg