Ceramic pipes and Scorch Exhausts on a KTM 950

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok, they were shot.

I have abused them for 50 000km and they really are tired. Time for a new set.

At first I thought I could have them refurbished. But as I found out. Aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are loathe to work on other peoples stuff, especially if it is in as a state mine were. Fair enough.

So ordered a set from Scorch.

The pipes were looking a little tatty. I have given up trying to keep them clean and they had a coating of at least 30 000km of crud on them. And I am damned if I am going to clean them again. They are a pain of note to clean.

So I’d heard that the ceramic coat has some good properties to it. Off to Powerkote then.

My two needs were; prevent the mud and crud from becoming bonded to the pipe, and, reduce some of the heat held in the system. I was cynical about the second claim. But had them coated inside and out.

Scorches pipes looked brilliant, he can do them in black too and all sorts of end caps, but I wanted the standard. Then back to Powerkote.

Again looking great! R1240 gets you this...

It all zipped together and it wasn’t long before the beast was bellowing again.

I have been hankering after quieter pipes as putting through farm lands is not the best with huge sound. Farmers get tense. I know the boys all say loud pipes save lives in traffic but they are certainly not good for your health on farms. Farmers have guns and some have short tempers.

These ones are not the quietest, no as loud as the Leo Vinces, but up there with the Accro’s. Oh well.

R3800.00 gets you a set of these extremely well made boots.

Obligatory sticker and zorst shot.

One thing I have noticed, amazingly, it does run cooler, A LOT!

In deep sand with a tailwind today, the fan kicked in and out and was more off than on, so it bounced between 4 and 5 bars. I saw 6 twice. On the previous setup with that riding I would be in 6 bars almost constantly, maybe 5, seldom 4 unless straight into the wind. So it does work.

I tried to find every mud puddle yesterday and today and there is almost nothing on the pipes.

I am a believer.

Christmas came a little earlier than expected.