990 Adv Dashboard Display

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan950

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My 990R Adv since new had a problem of  white dust particles appearing behind the bezel of the display. A 2nd problem began at about 8000km, the figures on the digital display began disappearing intermittently. So anyone with similar problems, here’s how to remove and dismantle the clocks.
990Display001.jpg

Remove the side panels that hold the indicators. Disconnect the indicators connector plug
990Display038.jpg

Lift the windscreen tabs over the locators, so the headlight unit can be moved forward. Unclip all the headlamp connectors.
990Display035.jpg

3 Torx screws hold the clock display down into the dash. A flexi or ‘wobble’ socket extender is required to remove these
990Display031.jpg

Pull the display unit out of the dash until the electrical connecter seal is exposed. Slide the rubber boot back to expose the socket. The centre of the connector has a latch which must be pressed down until it clicks. Then unplug it.
990Display026.jpg

990Display022.jpg

Remove the 4 screws from the back of the unit. Pry the two halves of the unit open using a large flat screwdriver.
990Display003.jpg

990Display004.jpg

Remove the rev counter needle just by pulling it upward.
Hook a small screwdriver under the faceplate and gently pry the faceplate off. Work slowly around the faceplate, try to keep it uniform. There are long connector pins under the top right corner -they will bend if the faceplate is not removed parallel to the housing.
990Display011.jpg

990Display012.jpg

At this point I re-attached the faceplate, connected the electrics, and tested -it worked perfectly. Cleaned the faceplate and the inside of the bezel, re-installed everything and its problem solved. Still not sure whether the cause was the long connector pins not making contact, or whether the process of undoing these connectors does some sort of re-set on the lcd’s.
Ps. Remember to re-attach the rev-counter needle on re-assembly. (Yes, I forgot!!!)