Battery not charging - Stator probably fried

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moondog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Some fun with batteries running dead over the last 2 weeks. I first replaced the battery, was fine for 2 days, then it too ran dead. Measured the voltage after fully charging the battery, with the motor running - just under 13V :( and it does not go up much when revving the motor to 4K RPM. Next I tested the AC voltage on the 3 pins of the connector coming from the alternator 26V, 18V and 10V :( - these should be similar and probably be in the region of 60V - and worse news is that there is a direct short to earth on all 3 pins when the motor is off.

Next step is to check if ACME has a used one in stock, or I will need to find someone on the reef that can rewind it. Worst case - BMW agent (the stator is sold with the flywheel and a few other parts - not separately it seems and even in the US goes for about $800). There is a chance that the regulator / rectifier is also blown, but cant be sure until the stator is working (unless someone knows how to test these things - it takes the three inputs from the alternator and puts out two positive and two negative wires directly back to the battery). I understand that the alternator always puts out 400W and the r/r dumps the unused excess to earth.  

Any advice would be appreciated.