1150 gearbox rebuild and general advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
Hello all.

First timer here, A few months ago i bought an 1150GS (2002, 70000kms) up in Tanzania where i am currently living. Got it for a crazy low price and all was well until my gearbox started complaining and clutch was slipping. IN tanzania there certainly isnt a BMW dealership or any mechanic with much knowledge on them, so i have been forced to look myself.

I removed the gearbox and split it to find the bearing on the input shaft(clutch side) has failed spectacularly, taking the oil seal with it and the edge off the input gear. The casing has been damaged a little but the bearing and seal seats seem fine so i think it will be ok. The rest of the gearbox seems unharmed and in quite good condition, selector drum and other gears have very little wear etc. Understandably there was loads of metal filings and fine shiny metal particles in the oil.

A few questions for those with more experience then me if you dont mind.

-Do you think the ground off corner of my input gear will be a big issue?
-What bearings should be changed and where can they be obtained from? the gears needle bearings are still turning smoothly but would the filings have caused much damage?
-should all the oil seals be changed and where can they be obtained from?
- whilst I am at it what attention and parts should i be throwing at my FD in a quest for a reliable bike?

Thanks!

Attachments

• input shaft.jpeg
    input shaft.jpeg
    318.9 KB

Latest posts