1150GS Battery type and specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eye-on-Afrca

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Howzit
I did do a search before I started this so please excuse me if this has been discussed before.

My R1150GS seems to, pretty soon after the new battery is fitted, start it’s usual story again: it won’t initialise the ABS properly (necessitating a roll start after I’m moving to get it done), and then the indicators start to double time after a few months. Indicating a battery I’ll-suited to cranking this big machine. The charging seems to be fine, otherwise I think the battery would eventually die…however, why would my alternator NOT provide enough power when the engine is running to power all the electrical even IF the battery isn’t the best?
The battery I’ve been using are like the Forsbat 12v 17 or 18Ah type, I think I’ll-suited to cranking applications(?).

What battery type / make / specs will power my boney properly, taken the battery IS the problem? I’ve read on many other fora exactly the same issues are solved by a better battery.

Has anyone tried any of these new Lithium batteries available, smaller in size that the 1150 cradle but pretty powerful. What about charging the Lithium type?

Thanks all in advance!!