125 bikes for touring worth looking at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I want to know if anyone tours on smaller bikes like the Honda NXR 125 or the Yamaha XTZ125 or similar sized other makes.  I do not have the financial reach to buy a larger machine as we have invested in a Mitsubishi Pajero :biggrin: and do a lot of touring and offroading with that.  We have been to Baviaanskloof, Cederberg a lot and I see some potential in using smaller bikes. My wife wants to ride as well and she is a little on the short side and a beginner so the Honda NXR is ok for her.

My thought was to buy 2 secondhand NXR's ( easing the spares problem as only 1 set needs to be carried ) and then getting a trailer and driving to the Cederberg, for instance, and leaving the Pajero at Algeria or Dwarsrivier and exploring and camping with the bikes. At Baviaans one can stop at the Western side at the campsite just after the entrance pass and explore and camp for a day or 2, without overloading the bikes too much.

Is this a viable proposition and does anyone do it like this? A Honda NXR is about R9000.00 for a good secondhand one which is ok as I cannot afford the R70,000.00 for a bigger bike that can carry 2 of us. The smaller bike will also be a great help for commuting duties in Cape Town and cost little to run.