1952 RIEDEL-IMME R100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Reaction score
I found this little 98cc motorcycle very interesting and thought I'll share some of the points and facts around it.
  • It was the brainchild of Norbert Riedel, who designed 2-stroke starter motors for the Luftwaffe Messerschmitt ME262 jet fighters during WW2.
  • Because of the shortage of sheet and tube metal after WW2, Riedel designed the bike using the same diameter for the frame, swing-arm and forks.
  • For the same reason the motorcycle had a single sided front fork as well as a single sided rear swing-arm.
  • There are dials on the left side to change damping on both the front and back suspension by way of friction.
  • It uses a bicycle style cable to thumb mechanism to change between it's 3 gears. The engine moves with the swing-arm so a static foot mounted gear lever could not be used.
  • It does not have a neutral gear setting but the clutch-lever can be locked in place to act as a neutral.
  • The engine is mounted on the front pivot part of the swing-arm and also uses the hollow swing-arm as the exhaust.
  • The carb is hidden behind the chrome dome on the right side of the engine, but it is not a rotary valve engine, it is a piston port.
  • The cylinder and head are a single cast piece.
  • The chassis was a simple bridge between the steering head and swing-arm pivot.
  • The front and back wheels where interchangeable.
  • There where 12000 of these produced between 1948 - 1952!

RIEDE-3-BACK.jpg

RIEDEL-IMMEENGINE.jpg

REIDEL-FRONT-ANGLE.jpg

RIEDEL-LEFT-ENGINE.jpg

riedel-imme-suspesnion-1.jpg

REIDEL-IMME-GAS-TANK.jpg

riedel-imme-frame-1.jpg

riedel-off-road.jpg