2021-22 KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R - FRONT RIM PROBLEMS

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
I am not sure if anyone else on Wild Dogs might have experienced this issue yet, but the Facebook groups for the new '21 and '22 1290 Super Adv R are full of posts about the stock OEM rims being very soft on this bike. I myself have in fact now had to replace my front rim after my first long dirt road trip on my bike, see attached pics. The damage to my rims on the pics with this post were at about 130 km/h on a moderate gravel road and I never felt one hit that felt bad, and I only noticed the damage when the front tyre started to deflate.

I first thought that the problem may have been caused by me myself due to dropping the pressure on my tyres to 1.8 bar in the front when hitting gravel or dirt, like I always did on my 690, 790 Adv R and 990. On this bike however my thought afterwards was that maybe this bike is just too heavy to ride at less than full tyre pressure, even on dirt. However, the guys on the FB groups say that even with full pressure the problem still occurs.

My dealer is replacing the rim on my front wheel under an insurance claim, but they have advised that there is an after-market Powerparts D.I.D. DirtStar heavy duty wheel set that costs R20k+, that I should maybe consider getting (https://www.ktm.com/en-za/parts---w...d.html?year=2021&segment=Travel&model=F9903U6). This after-market wheel set is referred to by Chris Birch in his YouTube vid about upgrade options for this bike (). On the one hand I could get pissed off that a R315k bike comes with such shitty rims, but on the other hand I guess that maybe the target market for 1200cc class Adv bikes does not normally do 130 km/h on gravel roads, or maybe KTM is just trying to keep the price down on on what is already a very expensive bike.

Either way, I am thinking of getting a stronger rim for the front, so my question with this post is if I can find a suitable rim only, or do I have to buy the whole Powerparts front and back wheel set? I see that LocoMoto in SA does sell Excel rims, but their website only lists the 640, 690, 950 and 990 for this rim, I am not sure if it would work for the 1290 SAR (https://www.locomoto.co.za/latest-p...rim_size-21_x_215_common_adv_r_model_sizing)? The downside of after-market rims is that they all are tubed, which makes puncture repairs on route so much more difficult.

So, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has come up with a solution?

Attachments

• IMG_3172.JPEG
    IMG_3172.JPEG
    555.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3173.JPEG
    IMG_3173.JPEG
    698.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3174.JPEG
    IMG_3174.JPEG
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-08-16 095503.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 095503.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-08-16 100649.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 100649.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Is there a name written on the side of the stock rims?

In 2016 KTM changed from SAXXESS (spelling) to AKRONT, and the AKRONT one were definitely stronger but people still dinged them.
I think it may just be a fact of life with a 240kg bike and tubless rims.

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Is there a name written on the side of the stock rims?

In 2016 KTM changed from SAXXESS (spelling) to AKRONT, and the AKRONT one were definitely stronger but people still dinged them.
I think it may just be a fact of life with a 240kg bike and tubless rims.
Thanks for the reply, my bike is at the dealer waiting for the new rim to arrive, but I will have a look if there is a brand name appearing on the rim when I get a chance. I am starting to maybe accept that I may have to start riding a bit tamer on a 240 kg bike, as you say ha ha.

pittbull

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
I can relate. The same happened to me front and rear rim. At the time Excel was 10 months behind in manufacturing so I had no choice to go for the stock rims. I spoke to KTM and they said that soon there is going to be a recall on the rims. I hope it’s true.

Tabasco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The DiD was the front rkm that the SE came out with, it was one of the options on the 990 back then (together with Exel, SWM ..)
I went DiD (on 990) still no sign of smileys even after abuse

Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
The Poweparts heavy duty rims are great but:
You will have to go tubed as already mentioned.
You will be down to 140 tyre at the rear which will seriously affect speed rating on most if not all tyres.

No rim is immune to damage. The DID on my 890 and narrow Excel on my 990 both have big smileys after 5k km of use.

Yes your bike is big and heavy and the rims aren’t the greatest when it comes to strenght. Tyre pressure and quality tyres can prevent in future. Tyres with stronger sidewall prevent this type of damage. No way you can run that size adv bike at 1.8bar and not get damage in my opinion.

Grumpleton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
On all the big KTM bikes as per the manual front 2,6 I think and Rear 2,9 cold under all conditions . I only ever drop my tyre pressure once and ended up with a big smiley , will never do that again now I run 2,5 under all conditions Mitas E07+dakar front and back

BuRP

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
DID Dirt Star are good rims ..... but why buy complete wheels?
Offroad Cycles can lace wheels for you, I'd ask them before your dealer starts with perhaps the wrong rim?
Also, the front normally is the first, so perhaps only do the front?
That big balloon on the rear needs some serious bump/step first to bend....

Reactions: ETS

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
On all the big KTM bikes as per the manual front 2,6 I think and Rear 2,9 cold under all conditions . I only ever drop my tyre pressure once and ended up with a big smiley , will never do that again now I run 2,5 under all conditions Mitas E07+dakar front and back
Thanks, I also run Mitas E07+ front and rear. I will try keeping the pressure up to what the book says when I get my bike back and see what happens. Did you have a repeat of the problem after you started running 2.5 as standard?

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
DID Dirt Star are good rims ..... but why buy complete wheels?
Offroad Cycles can lace wheels for you, I'd ask them before your dealer starts with perhaps the wrong rim?
Also, the front normally is the first, so perhaps only do the front?
That big balloon on the rear needs some serious bump/step first to bend....
Yes, I am currently looking at just sourcing a rim only, apparently the wait for the Powerparts wheel set is several months, so that doesn’t seem to be an option. I actually only suffered smileys on the front rim, the rear rim is still fine.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I was also about to ask why replace both?
WHen I was shopping you could get the DiD front only, and wasnt a bad deal either.

If insurance is paying, have them pay for the upgrade (if you are fine with tubes)
if there is a waiting period, take back the old wheel while you wait and hammer/press it back to usable shape.

Either way, got the T shirt, now my excel upgrades are gathering dust while I run the OEM tubeless rims at 2.4 bar always, no issues.

I can relate. The same happened to me front and rear rim. At the time Excel was 10 months behind in manufacturing so I had no choice to go for the stock rims. I spoke to KTM and they said that soon there is going to be a recall on the rims. I hope it’s true.
I had to comment on this....
The 990 already had shitty rims, then the 1190 until they upgraded in 2016. The current rims are actually not to bad if you knew the old rims.
For example, those first gen rims you could cure that smiley on the bike with a hammer, then next gen you had to use a press. now you need to heat them up while on a press to address a smiley. They are much stronger, just not strong enough.
I dont see a recall happening.

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Keep front rim at 2.5 bar always. The moment you deflate a KTM rim for gravel riding, be prepared to fix it.

GraZer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
The KTM HD wheels will certainly be much stronger, but will be much narrower. 1.85 front / 2.5 rear. Your current rims will be 2.5 front / 4.25 rear.
If you are willing to compromise on tubeless wheels, I would suggest replacing the rim only on your front wheel with one from a KTM 790/890 Rally, which is a 2.15 wide DID Dirt Star rim with the strength you are looking for. You will also need to replace the spokes as I see there is a ~20mm difference in spoke length between the bikes.

KTM Part numbers
2.15 DID Dirt Star front - 63509170000C1
4.00 DID Dirt Star rear - 63510170000C1

BLK

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
I run 2.2 in the front and 2.4 at the back,no problems yet.Farm roads only with occassional tricky bits.(Dunlop Trailmax).

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
I run 2.2 in the front and 2.4 at the back,no problems yet.Farm roads only with occassional tricky bits.(Dunlop Trailmax).
Those trailmaxes seem to have pretty stiff sidewalls which probably helps.

The stock TKC 80s are right floppy things at low pressures.

Reactions: BLK

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Even though I got my front wheel repaired under insurance, and I will not drop my tyre pressures again, I have still decided to buy an after-market front rim.

I have decided on the Alpina option: https://www.king-wheels.com/shop/alpina/ktm/ktm-1090-1290-adventure-alpina-aluminium/

It is quite expensive, but I am in the UK at least every month for work, so I can save on shipping at least. And the Alpina rims are at least still tubeless, and 2.15" wide so the tyre pressure monitoring system will also still work. Pic attached is from a Facebook group, I have not yet received my order, but I will post here again when I do.

Attachments

• 293189862_2215314001990249_1739897132374408348_n.jpg
    293189862_2215314001990249_1739897132374408348_n.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 0

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
what price should the alpina be in the end? In Rand?

I took some hits over the weekend again, 2.4 bar, still fine

ktmpilot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
what price should the alpina be in the end? In Rand?

I took some hits over the weekend again, 2.4 bar, still fine
I paid R14,046.00, from Alpina's UK distributor, shipping to an address in the UK. This is for a built front wheel, incl rim, nipples, spokes and hub. The stock rotors, axle, ABS ring, etc will come off my current OEM wheel. I didn't order a rear, only a front wheel. I haven't received my order yet however, ETA is in November some time.