5 Days, 5 bikes, CT to Die Hel & back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
We had a great 5 day ride, Thursday to Monday (yesterday).
Five bikes, 6 people (including one pullion), via Anysberg Reserve to Ons Karoo Plaas for the first night. Braai dinner with salads and homemade bread and green fig preserve.
Breakfast was 6km away at Dirt Road Cafe, where we had Chicken Schnitzel Stackers.
Then via the Floriskraal farm road to Prince Albert, known also as Die Hekke Pad.
I counted 20 closed gates but we had a good system that kept the group moving. There was no significant sand, as the road had been recently graded.

After fuel and last minute shopping at Prince Albert, it was up Swartberg Pass and turn off into the Gamkaskloof.
The sign warns of it being a 3 hour drive, but we completed it in 90 minutes, at a very leisurely pace including stops for photos.
We spent two nights in the rebuilt Safari Camp which is now built from stone after the devastating fire of 2019. The original wood structures with thatched roofs were completely destroyed.
First night they prepared a lamb meal for us with lots of extras. The second night they supplied us with everything we needed for a great braai. They delivered to the camp, firewood, ice, and all our drinks that we pre-ordered. A great setup.
On Saturday we explored further along the valley, but there is a locked gate about 9km further.
Breakfasts were outside under the trees at the restaurant. Sunday after breakfast we headed out of Die Hel at a very relaxed pace, as we had all day to cover only about 200km. Again it took only 90 minutes to reach Swartberg Pass. Even the pair riding two-up on a 1250GS found it not too challenging. We made a stop at Kobus Se Gat for refreshments, then headed via Groenfontein to Calitzdorp. I always find that road to be a rather spiritual experience, and I have heard others say the same.
Then via the R62 towards Ladismith, we made a stop at Frikkie Se Gat opposite Opsoek and Amalienstein where bikers get a free coffee.
We were still early, so we detoured all the way through Seweweekspoort and back again, stopping at the Amalienstein /Tierkloof Dam on the first transit.
From there, we took the tar road to Ladismith for fuel and then to our overnight stop at Koedoeskloof Lodge. Burgers for dinner and their classic breakfast set us up for our ride home on Monday via Sanbona Private Game Reserve, Ouberg and Montagu.
Perfect riding weather all five days. A great bunch of guys (and lady). No punctures nor any technical problems.
I am already looking forward to the next ride to Die Hel again.

I think we can squeeze in one more before the end of year holiday season starts.