950 ignition switch -> HID's and other mysteries SOLVED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy 950

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I've been having intermittent problems with my HID lights not starting. I fitted spots with normal lamps and found the spots would go on but the headlight won't start.
Checked all the connections for the HID's and eventually even changed the battery. It was a bit better, but hard to tell as the problem was intermittent.

I then started having trouble where none of the lights, head,tail nor spots would come on and found by luck that they come on when you wiggle the key in the ignition switch.

I took the switch off and gave it a good dose with WURTH (must be made of pure gold) contact cleaner.

As I worked the switch I could feel the grinding going away when between positions and the clicking into position becomming much crisper. The lights now start everytime so I guess the bad connection was in the ignition switch all the time.  ::) :p

I can reccomend this exercise, especially if like me you use your pressure washer generously. :thumleft: