A MILLIAN CORNERS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
In order to understand the scale of it you must go ride it , But let me turn back time a bit first , Over the long weekend of 21 March we towed the bikes down to Mossel bay , and on returning my friend left his bike in my garage so I could take it to FAST for tyres . this all went very well .... until Wednesday when we collected the bike again , My plan was to take it home on my bakkie , return to work on Thursday with bakkie and go home with my Suzuki , needed space for his car as we were leaving from my house Friday morning, He works for BMW head office and had to do month end , so our departure on Thursday was moved to Friday morning . All went well until the fuel pump on the bakkie died , so a change of plans , ride his bike home , come to work with my 1190 , leave Suzuki in shop , Go home with 1190.
Friday morning
Up and fit top boxes to bikes and head out , r 59 to M1 and then at Venterburg we turn of to Senekal . just as we get to the Vaal river we hit mist , and it gets progressively worse and wet . this last up to about 30 kilos before Kroonstad , Not only is it wety but also cold , my jacket & pant is waterproof so I am ok , but with no liners its a bit chilly , but we soldier on .
Fill up in Kroonstad , and up the pace a bit to try pull back time , we push on the Senekal , have breakfast at Waterval padstal , slow and food arrives cold , I find a microwave and heat mine up , hate cold food .
After breakfast its on to the Marquard road , is not bad , and 40 kilos later we turn towards Clocolan , and here it not driving on the left , you drive on whats left of the road , bikes can navigate the narrow patches of tar between the potholes , but we also MX it over some bad spots , bikes handle it super well .
roll into Maseru bridge border , goes pretty past and we stamped and on the road in 20 min , take the COFFI ANAN side rode to bypass the Hussle and bustle of Maseru only to encounter lots of little Honda taxis goind nowhere vert slowly . but again we on bikes and take advantage of passing them in the middle of the road .
We need to fill up ,but I know there is a garage at the A5 to Roma turnoff , get there and the cars are queuing up to get fuel . so we ride on , stop at next one , no petrol , we have about 100 ks to empty , so we worry a bit , attenend says there is anothe garage about 10 ks down the road , but not sure if they have petrol , we ride on , stop and fill up . ( NOTE TO SELF ) fill up whenever there is a chance , dont chance it .
With full tanks we head out on the A5 , pas ROMA , the road is really good and we make good time , pass Semonkong and we head into the unknown , never been futher than Semonkong, Head higher and lower into the mountains,
One minute you are clibing to the top of the mountain , next you descending down . and you going around corners , it never stops , left, right , left , left , U turn , need all the skills and concentration . Just after 3 we roll into the parking lot of THE NEW CENTRAL HOTEL in Quachasnek . 690 kilos of riding in 8 hrs with some stopping . awesome first day .
Saturday we wake up to no hot water in the shower , it was Luke warm on Friday afternoon , but ice-cold in the morning , after a chat with reception , we miraculously had hot water , showered , dressed , breakfast , again asked it to be nukes as it was cold ,
Fire up the bikes and go fill up , next 240 kilos to Mohales hoek . It sounds close but take time to ride , many many more corners to navigate , and police stops to question where we going . another days great ride .
We arrive at lunch time , change head to the bar for some nice burgers , a drink . and then back to the room for a snooze . Dinner was not to bad .
Sunday out last day , have breakfast , fill up , and onto the A2 to Maseru . the road is not bad , but badly sign posted , in one village i take the wrong turn at a traffic circle , but stop and ask the police if we going in the correct direction , he say no turn back , we do and head back , and onto the A2 again , we average 110kph . but see signs of 80 , maybe we were speeding , pass a speed trap but did not get stopped , one thing one has to keep your eyes wide open for is speed bumps ,they are plenty common in LESHOTO , and many a hard brake was require to stop/slow down in time .
It was recommended to travel the A1 and not use th COFFIANAN bypass for safety reasons , Maseru drivers is just craze , the stop anywhere anytime , drive slow . but we made it . did the border thing and back into SA heading for Clarence .
we let the big dogs run and ride the 165 ks in just over a hour . the road between Ficksburg and Fouriesburg has been repaired , so in overall good condition .
Clarence is always a good stop , booked in at HIGHLAND QUATERS , VERY VERY NICE . and yesterday after breakfast we headed for home ,
All in all a great ride .
All those corners up one skill level big time , Our next trip is in June , when we do the annual Polar bear run , this time the plan is to visit MOHALE DAM .So Maseru to Roma will have to be navigated again .

Latest posts