A Strong Back: The Adventures of Tom Mc Sherry

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Jy het reg gelees, Daar is ' n groot verskil tussen ' n voorman en 'n manager. Die een sit en wag daagliks vir instruksies vanaf die baas en die Ander een beplan vooruit en raporteer aan die baas.
Nee ek het nie reg gelees nie. Jy ook nie. Hulle soek nie n Plaas voorman nie maar iemand soek werk vir/as n plaasvoorman.

Ek het gelees dit is n werksgeleentheid vir Tom. Nie iemand wat na werk soek nie

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Tom, I had a Graduate Quantity Surveyor work for me a few years ago, a BIG lad his parents had a farm in Bothaville, we got on ok but were miles apart socially (the mad Welshman and the young not streetwise Bothaville farmer), he was telling me how the mielie planters use the GPS Sat Nav and plant the seeds wider apart at the edge of the field as it will be drier. I didn't think of this despite coming from the UK which had/ has the highest Agricultural productivity in the world.

His old man got sick and he went back to the farm earlier than expected, he was too nice for our industry. :cool:
I will admit that I have been so absorbed in my ‘little emergency medical world’ that I never really knew what it’s like ‘out there’ in almost every other sector. Talk about ‘tunnel vision’, in a way good since I have stayed focussed but in a way ignorant.
Yes I grew up having to help with Farmwork as a kid but I never knew the science behind any of this and may have thought its as easy as putting seed or seedlings in the ground, fertilize and water and harvest when the product is ready.
Well no, it’s not that easy but I first had to enter this sector at a ripe age and start working right at the bottom to learn whats it all about.

Before I left SA again this year an old co worker in the EMS told me that he would also like a ‘laid back job in the agricultural field like becoming a farm foreman’
I did bot waste my time to have a senseless argument, turned my back and walked off.

Where I work most young men will leave school and go to K-State university and study to become a agronomist, feed expert or other relative agri-studies.

El Zeffo

Plata O Plomo
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I don’t know if you guys and girls have seen the new airfare rates? I have recently helped a guy to come over, just over a month ago and it cost me $2756 for his visa, airfares and what he needed. That is R45k. I got a copy of his ticket, was R32k!

The air tickets are disgusting. I had R50k credit with Delta airways from lockdown times. That was 4 flights in the bank. They gave me a one way ticket to the states for it when i came over in March. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
The air tickets are disgusting. I had R50k credit with Delta airways from lockdown times. That was 4 flights in the bank. They gave me a one way ticket to the states for it when i came over in March. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It is really hectic Cappie, We are making good money here bit not like for in ‘rolling in the $$$$’ like my neighbor introduced me to his family in SA😡
I was a bit pissed for a moment and helped him right.
To his amazement it turned out that he makes more per annum in SA and if there is any rolling to be done he’s the one🤣
Still it’s a good amount of cash, as it stands now with the cheaper ‘Qatar hop which takes us ro Doha, Chicago and Omaha it cost currently R31k, travel insurance for physical labour Visa including Cardio vascular emergencies is R12,5k, and the Visa including DHL and other fees R4k.

R47,435 as it stands without covid testing, and believe you me there are still other cost.

You still need to take care of yourself for two and n half months without any income and you know the pages and pages of Visa application and then they may decide to have an interview which is even more red tape.

I do not for one moment complain here, I am a simple unschooled ‘toppie’ who brings his 2 hands and a very willing hart to the job and a ton of loyalty every day.
I will keep doing this most probably till my back/hip makes the decision for me or if/when another door opens in the way of a retirement job.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi TVB, hopefully not a hijack as the subject has reared its head here often. I see Australian forces posted a statistic that due to PTSD and issues with reintegration into society they have lost more current and previous members to suicide than in all armed conflicts in the last 20 years despite Iraq and Afghanistan. :oops:

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Hi TVB, hopefully not a hijack as the subject has reared its head here often. I see Australian forces posted a statistic that due to PTSD and issues with reintegration into society they have lost more current and previous members to suicide than in all armed conflicts in the last 20 years despite Iraq and Afghanistan. :oops:
Sadly true
I find personally that the hardest thing to do when you live with PTSD is the ‘reintegration into society’ since it is something you almost constantly have to work on.
I am finding that extremely hard at times since I believe people with PTSD see the world different through their eyes if that makes sense.
Most loose purpose and find it extremely difficult if not impossible to adapt.

I have CPTSD as well, traumatized childhood and luckily my adopting dad made a huge impact in my life from time to time leaving me keywords behind that I still uses today as lifelines. Things as simple as ‘only one thing is certain in life; change - adapt or die’

In Countries of conflict I have served and with a EMS career of just over 30 years I have seen many colleges fall out due to not being able to adapt back into society. Most left a mess behind and I had to attend and clean-up some of these scenes which may never leave my mind, memory bank and nightmares which I really often hope I can escape.

Even here in America I get rather moved with lots of mixed feelings due to veterans that just ‘cant’ pull themselves out of a hole and take that everyday first step and earn a living. In a way I feel the word is dignity, you need to to it for yourself regardless weather it is an ongoing battle within.
Not sure if I make sense and not because I am typing in English, doubt I can do any better in Afrikaans here. It is an emotion thing, like an emotional roller-coaster which goes from extreme lows to bizarre highs.

I find it is a perfect escape for me at work to often work alone like driving truck and I think that the people that are trying to help the veterans and other PTSD ‘patients’ should try and understand more of the subject and first learn that working in groups and especially with younger and immature people may be a very bad place to start.

Looking at myself and friend living with PTSD I think that responsibility given is also a good thing to these guys as you do get a level of urgency, a level of loyalty and (the good) pride.
Most people living with this condition do not have time for bullshit and live a more serious life.
They just don’t get the right level of help. I feel it is as simple as that.
It doesn't take an awful lot to get tired of trying since these guys think that ‘they are failing’ and then just bail out.

Maybe I made a little sense here.
A Youtube channel that help me to find purpose at times is called ‘the crappy childhood fairy’
That lady knows what she is talking about.
Dr Ramadi is also touching subjects that can help pull yourself together and better understand life

People with PTSD tend to overthink life too much yet I think understandable if you have lived in a different world where you work daily with pain and death.

Emotional outburst, control of temper is also a big one for most. Very sad movie about Chris Kyle who worked with veterans to rehab them and eventually got killed by one of his ‘patients’

No surprise there are challenges to adapt back into society

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Sadly true
I find personally that the hardest thing to do when you live with PTSD is the ‘reintegration into society’ since it is something you almost constantly have to work on.
I am finding that extremely hard at times since I believe people with PTSD see the world different through their eyes if that makes sense.
Most loose purpose and find it extremely difficult if not impossible to adapt.

I have CPTSD as well, traumatized childhood and luckily my adopting dad made a huge impact in my life from time to time leaving me keywords behind that I still uses today as lifelines. Things as simple as ‘only one thing is certain in life; change - adapt or die’

In Countries of conflict I have served and with a EMS career of just over 30 years I have seen many colleges fall out due to not being able to adapt back into society. Most left a mess behind and I had to attend and clean-up some of these scenes which may never leave my mind, memory bank and nightmares which I really often hope I can escape.

Even here in America I get rather moved with lots of mixed feelings due to veterans that just ‘cant’ pull themselves out of a hole and take that everyday first step and earn a living. In a way I feel the word is dignity, you need to to it for yourself regardless weather it is an ongoing battle within.
Not sure if I make sense and not because I am typing in English, doubt I can do any better in Afrikaans here. It is an emotion thing, like an emotional roller-coaster which goes from extreme lows to bizarre highs.

I find it is a perfect escape for me at work to often work alone like driving truck and I think that the people that are trying to help the veterans and other PTSD ‘patients’ should try and understand more of the subject and first learn that working in groups and especially with younger and immature people may be a very bad place to start.

Looking at myself and friend living with PTSD I think that responsibility given is also a good thing to these guys as you do get a level of urgency, a level of loyalty and (the good) pride.
Most people living with this condition do not have time for bullshit and live a more serious life.
They just don’t get the right level of help. I feel it is as simple as that.
It doesn't take an awful lot to get tired of trying since these guys think that ‘they are failing’ and then just bail out.

Maybe I made a little sense here.
A Youtube channel that help me to find purpose at times is called ‘the crappy childhood fairy’
That lady knows what she is talking about.
Dr Ramadi is also touching subjects that can help pull yourself together and better understand life

People with PTSD tend to overthink life too much yet I think understandable if you have lived in a different world where you work daily with pain and death.

Emotional outburst, control of temper is also a big one for most. Very sad movie about Chris Kyle who worked with veterans to rehab them and eventually got killed by one of his ‘patients’

No surprise there are challenges to adapt back into society
Tom a very very very good book on the subject: The Body Keeps the Score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Body_Keeps_the_Score

Most of the book explains what it means that the body remembers and how it affects the brain and the whole body. There is also a section about non-medicinal therapy.

The guy is a bit verbose, but it is fascinating. Many summaries on Youtube and that will give a broad understanding. The exercises, I think one can implement in one's life, preferably with the help of friends and family.

Best of luck.

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I do not barbecue (braai) often in the US but when I do I go all out with an Angus rib-eye steak.

My co workers loaded train and with huge relieve my fragile back was saved and I was hauling corn from ‘Marietta Kansas to Frankfort’ which I tremendously enjoyed.

I know this fun can’t last much longer since corn and soy bean harvest is on us, maybe in a week or a stretch two weeks we will fire up the ‘wet corn’ project where we take in we corn in other words moisture more that 15% without docking the farmers. We dry it through out amazing propane dryer and we sell them right away on grain trains.
Our minimum hours per week will be 70 during harvest which should be around six plus weeks.
Everything over 40 hrs is overtime
Yes I am thinking of buying my first car in over a decade now, kid you not.
Only reason for that is because I only have a bike and I am not sure if it’s a good idea ti do all my riding on bike any longer.
Still not even remotely willing to let go of my bike, but I really want to do a bit of traveling on my 2.5 months break….will see

00D8E4F5-FD07-4B31-9DB4-BDD81A416166.jpeg

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I do not barbecue (braai) often in the US but when I do I go all out with an Angus rib-eye steak.

My co workers loaded train and with huge relieve my fragile back was saved and I was hauling corn from ‘Marietta Kansas to Frankfort’ which I tremendously enjoyed.

I know this fun can’t last much longer since corn and soy bean harvest is on us, maybe in a week or a stretch two weeks we will fire up the ‘wet corn’ project where we take in we corn in other words moisture more that 15% without docking the farmers. We dry it through out amazing propane dryer and we sell them right away on grain trains.
Our minimum hours per week will be 70 during harvest which should be around six plus weeks.
Everything over 40 hrs is overtime
Yes I am thinking of buying my first car in over a decade now, kid you not.
Only reason for that is because I only have a bike and I am not sure if it’s a good idea ti do all my riding on bike any longer.
Still not even remotely willing to let go of my bike, but I really want to do a bit of traveling on my 2.5 months break….will see

View attachment 787555
Did you bring the Braai Salt from home?

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I still carve, normally just 1 caricature somewhere over the weekend.
I do not have much energy in the evenings and to bed rather early and just read a book a bit, scroll around on Wd’s and maybe watch an Itchy boots or BDR on Youtube.
I still do love this new found hobby tremendously though and hope to improve in near future.
CAEBB1CE-8B78-4173-AA3F-68CD25017353.jpeg 54896705-5FED-4637-927E-ACBC2979BD97.jpeg

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
FDE23797-34E3-4F5D-B2F2-72D682FB8206.jpeg 62189D13-2614-4D59-B06A-BE077A43E74E.jpeg 6528D1A0-A7AA-4F53-B6E4-212F3BD635E4.jpeg
Been a while since I treated myself
2 x gas (petrol) containers for motorcycle - so it is made of aluminum and seal 100% and holds 1.5 liter each.
Just fill and drop in the panniers - can come in handy.
2 x motorcycle cargo nets, I like them.

Better hit the sack, loading train at 6am😅

Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
18174C59-54C3-4391-B292-99A68F2B1067.jpeg Happyness when the last car of 110 and 8 hours is finally loaded and waiting on my seals.

However; I am struggling. Was a total of 6 hours on the train, had a 2 hour break where I did other work like dumped trucks.
My back is killing me, it’s like I realize now once again that I am having this dreams and obviously them ‘dreams’ will only realize if I continue to work here.
Sometimes so near….yet so far it seems😔

Regret that I did not go easier on my body when I was younger. Can’t change it now right.
Now got to pull myself together and force that smile😅

Oubones

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Tom, true what you say about taking it easier when we were younger! But lets be honest, we are not taking it much easier now that we are older!