A Strong Back: The Adventures of Tom Mc Sherry

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Nee Tommie Jy misverstaan nou heeltemal. Kan jy in Metrieke eenhede gee asb. Ek verstaan glad nie daai ander eenhede nie

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Ok Sandbank het my gered met die ‘metric eenhede’

Thanks Sandbank!!
250 bu/ac is almost 17t/ha.
To put into context, the South African average yield is between 5 and 6 t/ha, with most of it dryland, the very high potential soils/areas goes up to 12t/ha on dryland and only in some years.

Irrigation in the Northern Cape like Prieska (@ETS ) world gets over 21t/ha. In Cradock they have a 30t/ha club, but that is very high inputs and small areas for a competition.

So to average 17t/ha is extremely high. If you are an irrigation farmer. For dryland (as what the farmer @Tom van Brits refers to is), it is close to impossible.

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
To put into context, the South African average yield is between 5 and 6 t/ha, with most of it dryland, the very high potential soils/areas goes up to 12t/ha on dryland and only in some years.

Irrigation in the Northern Cape like Prieska (@ETS ) world gets over 21t/ha. In Cradock they have a 30t/ha club, but that is very high inputs and small areas for a competition.

So to average 17t/ha is extremely high. If you are an irrigation farmer. For dryland (as what the farmer @Tom van Brits refers to is), it is close to impossible.
Thanks Sandbank

Yes it seems the guys here are farming on very fertile ground. Atleast more than 95% of our farmers have dry-land and the rest have pivots.
This now North East Kansas all the wat down the East of KS.
Western Kansas is located on that enormious ‘Olga’ aquifer that runs through the Mid-West and all the farm fields are divided in squires of either 100 or 125acres - Bluebull that is 40 hectare.
2037E5A2-A6F9-439A-A5C0-E8FE5427DACD.png
I have done silage doen there. The yield is mind boggling for us South Africans to grasp…the farmers that do seed-corn will never get under 200 bushels an acre and to see 300 is nothing to thrown upon.
They spent a lot in the input though, anhydrous ammonia application and test soil samples by universities and various rate fertilizer application, close monitoring by agricultural agronomists and so on.
Look I am no expert and just another laborer doing what the boss tells me to do so I should actually not even do posts like these because I am bot even half qualified in doing so.

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
These posts are great @Tom van Brits , shows us mortals what is possible!

For the guys that is interested, part of the reason they get this high yields are carbon content of the soil (or organic matter) and rainfall.

Usually these ‘mericans cannot believe we farm in the “desert” and are astouned by the relatively high yields we get given our soils and rainfall!

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I used to laugh flying over those endless huge handkerchief fields, with the occasional farm and very few villages.

Reaction score
Bike
I
@Tom van Brits ask them how much plants they plant per ha, as well as their fertilizer recipe?
Will do and report back.
Currently just having a bit of a ‘job and a half’ since Freddy and I are prepping the bunker which holds 1.1 million bushels.
We worked 12 hours and it involves a lot of work, he said after a 12 hour shif: ‘joh uncle my hands and back are sore’ 😅🤣
The young-man is catching on, he dis good today. Made me proud.
187249D9-7A66-4407-AF0B-BD8860721286.jpeg 445A7E46-2140-4526-93F5-B2E1AB6DD097.jpeg 60AA237E-7614-4DD4-9541-CF77F30DD796.jpeg 2BD2B964-F273-4154-B683-03BC1AFA6500.jpeg

Reaction score
Bike
Sandbank I have spoken to a number of farmers now. Here in KS the plant 23 to 27 thousand plants per acre and the odd 30k.

Fertilizer is variable rate - they test the ground as for in samples and lap tests and the fertilizer applicator has got 4 different products which can be anything from Uria to potash, sulfur, zinc Etc.
Almost all of them do Anhydrous ammonia (liquid gas) which is extremely dangerous to work with.
Seems nitrogen in agriculture is becoming a problem with recourses and pricing though.

Cover crop is a ‘green’ but not cheap alternative.

heinzz

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Sandbank I have spoken to a number of farmers now. Here in KS the plant 23 to 27 thousand plants per acre and the odd 30k.

Fertilizer is variable rate - they test the ground as for in samples and lap tests and the fertilizer applicator has got 4 different products which can be anything from Uria to potash, sulfur, zinc Etc.
Almost all of them do Anhydrous ammonia (liquid gas) which is extremely dangerous to work with.
Seems nitrogen in agriculture is becoming a problem with recourses and pricing though.

Cover crop is a ‘green’ but not cheap alternative.
That is 64 thousand plants per hectare close to 2,4 time the plants that gets planted in North West province on dry land. Doesn’t even plant that many plants under irrigation in NW. All the lab stuff gets done in SA as well. The number of plants that they are planting per acre is what gets planted here per hectare.
In the Vrystaat guys are planting even less. Looks as thought we are planting crops in a desert.

Reaction score
Bike
That is 64 thousand plants per hectare close to 2,4 time the plants that gets planted in North West province on dry land. Doesn’t even plant that many plants under irrigation in NW. All the lab stuff gets done in SA as well. The number of plants that they are planting per acre is what gets planted here per hectare.
In the Vrystaat guys are planting even less. Looks as thought we are planting crops in a desert.
Personally very proud of our South African farmers.
I think the soil over here is naturally (maybe?) more fertile and the rainfall and moisture plays a huge role.
The water table is very shallow in NE Kansas and moisture is holding up in the bottoms.
In the Winter we get snow which contribute to ground moisture and then we obviously do not plough nor till.

Some farms near feed mills do liquid manure fertilizing or just plain manure spread.

Reaction score
Bike
Ps: by that I mean farms near dairies and cattle ranches (Voer krale)

In 2019 I dis a lot of manure spreading - fertilizing.
That can leave the soil good dor up-to 5 years but the neg is possibility of introducing wheats and unwanted plants which is a real pain.

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Ps: by that I mean farms near dairies and cattle ranches (Voer krale)

In 2019 I dis a lot of manure spreading - fertilizing.
That can leave the soil good dor up-to 5 years but the neg is possibility of introducing wheats and unwanted plants which is a real pain.
And some heavy metals and other like Fe and Na👍🏻

Reaction score
Bike
And some heavy metals and other like Fe and Na👍🏻
I’ll go take you some pictures or a short vid and post it here of all the dry fertilizer product we sell
I sometimes help them out over there when there is a spill that needs cleaning up or just housekeeping
I do not haul dry anymore, I used to haul dry quite a bit but the problem is you need Hazmat for some products over here like sulfur which I can’t get on H2a Visa

Reaction score
Bike
Today was a tough one involving two sessions of shoveling grain😆
First session was a drag that plugged and took only about 30 minutes.
Second one a grain leg; 140 feet high that ‘back legged’
I told the guys I am going down into the bootpit to start shoveling.
Co-worker 1 said he would bot be able to help, too busy.
Co-worker 2 said he will be there in a bit.
Guess who showed up?
Co-worker 1. Thank you Freddy, respect.
The boss dis call him after 15 minutes and he had to go do other stuff.
Co-worker 2 never showed nor was he busy.
Not mad, it made me laugh actually🤣
I got a lot to learn about ‘people in the workplace after all’

It took me just shy of two hours to pick all that corn up but I am happy🥁😅🎷