A Strong Back: The Adventures of Tom Mc Sherry

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Later this week I will have to climb this MF
I will have to man up and dig very very deep for physical strength when we have to tarp it.
I will probably have to stay home the next day to recover and loose a while lot of income
It is what it is

Reaction score
Bike
Not a good year for grain in the United States Kansas
I am now at Beattie where they dis bot take enough grain to fill one of three ground piles.
Just need to pick up 4 loads, that’s it.
They took in half the expected corn harvest
On the road again…if only one day, I’ll take it🤣5743189C-C8C5-4A0F-AF31-7799324497B3.jpeg

Reaction score
Bike
7BC80E1B-8F88-4D48-9405-CEB37367218F.jpeg
My friend Tom running the 955g
So gentle on a machine, I respect a man and woman with machine sympathy
8E971356-FADB-4DBE-BFB0-A468D434A021.jpeg
Gentle let the grain rain into the hopper and that is kind on my trailers air suspension
A5145091-2BCF-4D6C-838A-E830464DF649.jpeg
Ben is running ‘mini me’
BD06F371-D29C-452A-BEBE-32EE3869F25A.jpeg
And after a 14 mile haul let it out on our big pile
C1032BB3-AA09-4DEA-9E5C-ACEA4A11F3A1.jpeg
Grain-dust is not kind on the human body, if you want to learn more read up on grain-dust pneumonia.
We are supposed to wear 3m dust masks🙄

Reaction score
Bike
Ok let me do it for you because I know already by now who will challenge me to it 👀🤣🤣

01D31F2E-613D-47C7-AAAD-EAAD5CA1DB96.png

Reaction score
Bike
Also just want to make a correction: only one bunker was filled at Beattie with corn, and not three as per usual. A significant drop in yield due to drought for our dry-land farmers.

Good night!!

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Does anyone know What were the grain harvests like in SA last season and what are they expecting for this season? Curious to see if there is any correlation between SA and USA harvets.

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Does anyone know What were the grain harvests like in SA last season and what are they expecting for this season? Curious to see if there is any correlation between SA and USA harvets.
SA had a very good harvest - last estimate was 15,2m tons. It was higher than this in 2017, 2020 and 2021.

There is very little/no correlation in terms of yields, climate is very far apart.

What does have an enormous impact is grain prices. The US produces more than 380m tons - so they are the price maker for grain globally. With the current drought, Ukraine situation and exchange rate, things are looking good for very high grain prices for next year for our farmers who is about to start planting.

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I was just thinking between this and Ukraine I should invest in grain shares.
Good luck ;)

A lot of people has lost a lot of money - I would rather buy Lotto tickets...

As one guy summed it up nicely: "Ek het 11h50 op die kakhuis gaan sit. As die mark 12h00 sluit en ek kry my verliese vir die dag dan bekak ek nie die hele huis nie"

The grain market is 20% economics, 40% politics and 40% emotion.

Reaction score
Bike
The retired and magnificent General pulled in here and did me the honor of showing and handling his special edition 9mm Beretta.
Special serial number as well.
I then handed him a flash disc with Gulf and Iraqi war pictures which I got from military war photographers back in 2005 in Camp Victory Iraq.

On another note: Dorsland had a discussion on his thread about deodorant and allergies. The only scent I get here from the American farmers is either sweat or ‘Winter green’ as we know it. Here they have different brand names to it but basically an anti inflammatory ointment scent.
Many guys in their 70’s, hard working men and a couple woman.
Nothing but respect.

America is not the first or the last but the part I have seen so far is pretty darn good. I like the Country a lot.

Mikie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
The retired and magnificent General pulled in here and did me the honor of showing and handling his special edition 9mm Beretta.
Special serial number as well.
I then handed him a flash disc with Gulf and Iraqi war pictures which I got from military war photographers back in 2005 in Camp Victory Iraq.

On another note: Dorsland had a discussion on his thread about deodorant and allergies. The only scent I get here from the American farmers is either sweat or ‘Winter green’ as we know it. Here they have different brand names to it but basically an anti inflammatory ointment scent.
Many guys in their 70’s, hard working men and a couple woman.
Nothing but respect.

America is not the first or the last but the part I have seen so far is pretty darn good. I like the Country a lot.
No pics of the Baretta?

Reaction score
Bike
No pics of the Baretta?
Nope, I would have loved that but you know I am regardless of our good relationship very humble in his presence. I did not have rank in the military and after service I served the public all my life till age 50 as a medic and doubled up in some roles on the remote sites as housekeeping manager, seismic line checker and so on but nothing of significance. Now only a laborer doing physical work, never had status of any sort so I don’t have the confidence to ask for something I’d like if that makes sense.
The experience was priceless though.

grizz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Nope, I would have loved that but you know I am regardless of our good relationship very humble in his presence. I did not have rank in the military and after service I served the public all my life till age 50 as a medic and doubled up in some roles on the remote sites as housekeeping manager, seismic line checker and so on but nothing of significance. Now only a laborer doing physical work, never had status of any sort so I don’t have the confidence to ask for something I’d like if that makes sense.
The experience was priceless though.

Tom,

I want to say something to you, channeling my dad. Ask @Dozer

You can never buy class or rank, one is from within and one is bestowed upon you.

And in both cases you are the responsible keeper of them.

You, my friend, carry a lot of class, and may not have a titled rank bestowed upon you, but you have certainly earned the rank in life to outrank, or equal anyone you meet.

You should never forget that.

The General saw you as a worthy comrade in arms. And treated you with the respect you commanded.

Your Class and the Rank you have earned from life cannot be removed.

Respect to you, and I am sure anyone else on here who reads your adventures will agree.

Reaction score
Bike
Tom,

You can never buy class or rank, one is from within and one is bestowed upon you.

You, my friend, carry a lot of class, and may not have a titled rank bestowed upon you, but you have certainly earned the rank in life to outrank, or equal anyone you meet.

The General saw you as a worthy comrade in arms. And treated you with the respect you commanded.

Respect to you, and I am sure anyone else on here who reads your adventures will agree.
Thank you sir.

Wayne

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Tom,

So very well put and deserved. Tom take the feather and place it firmly in your cap.