A Strong Back: The Adventures of Tom Mc Sherry

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Wagon art
I would love to take more pictures of all the ‘wagon-art’ I see along the highways but obviously always driving and hardly ever any luck with a cellphone point and shoot.
The other day I asked the one kid working for us to take a picture of this one which I had to heavily crop to make it work just to illustrate one of my favorites. There aren’t that many but I’d say you come across one at-least every 50 miles of driving in Kansas and a little less in Nebraska.
Most remainders I was told of recovered wagons on the historical Oregon wagon trail.ADF177A0-4790-4871-8BA4-2E287430BB62.png 56C8CC13-8486-4376-831E-8F29379274DF.jpeg

Reaction score
Bike
I like this old tractor a lot, we so don’t need new tractors to drive pto’s or pull/drive the grass shredder and the company keep our old tractors alive.

Has anybody got any issues with this? Sadly and shamefully some South African H2a workers who have seen their buddies working the latest and greatest John Deere and Case (Case being my fav) machines.

Only later in life will they learn the value of preserving and even recycling.

B66DA976-6223-446D-BA7B-DDDC333E0AAE.jpeg
The ‘uncle’ happy and fortunate to opperare, transferring wheat from the grain-cart to my truck
F0D165F4-901E-4604-94DD-3A917F41B33A.jpeg

Reaction score
Bike
Cellphone cameras got so good to the extend where a lot of people just do not feel the beed to cary a dslr or mirrorless camera along their adventures.

I mean just have a look at the above pictures from my bike taken on my son’s cellphone or everything else on my thread in recent years on ‘never a high-end cellphone’ since I am only stingy on myself but not when it comes to helping my family or others.

My son still can’t believe that I bought the African twin for myself since he knows me that well.

Anyway back to the cell-camras. The pictures we take mostly gets taken with the cell, shared and then cleaned up to make sure I do not run out of memory on my rather basic iphone XR.
Only reason I got the iphone XR was because it’s the cheapest phone that is dust and water resistant - I have lost 2 x Samsungs at the Coop and then the American at work uses only iphone (work supplied) and they share locations Which they would not bother to do on google for instance so it makes my life easier.

Yet the camera sucks compared to highend cellphones and my ‘real Fujifilm canera’ but tet sufficient for what we use it for.

The train pictures above were taken on my Fujifilm XT30 and 16mm lens and transferred to my cell. You may see a difference tet marginal and once you reduce the uploading size the pictures pixelate when you magnify and it is bothing superior over that of the phone.

Just some probably useless info I communicate this morning and just confirming what Xpat told me one day. Guess I had to walk that route and learn first but yet I am not giving up my camera and lenses and I got a Tamron 150-500 on my wishlist for sometime in due future. One dat when I can justify to spent some money on myself again👀🤣

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
@Tom van Brits it's interesting you should mention this as I'm doing research to buy a new work camera at the moment. I considered to just stick with the cellphone but what I found using mid range phones is that in low light or difficult lighting conditions even the best phones start to show the lack of decent optics and smaller sensor. Doing field mapping the sun is always in the wrong place relative to the photo is need. I used high quality compacts in the past like the canon G16. That was a truly brilliant little camera but the quality of cellphone cameras has killed that segment of the market. I think my best value for money approach will be to go with a mirrorless+compact lense. Still figuring out exactly what to do. I might just try find a secondhand G16 rather.

Reaction score
Bike
@Tom van Brits it's interesting you should mention this as I'm doing research to buy a new work camera at the moment. I considered to just stick with the cellphone but what I found using mid range phones is that in low light or difficult lighting conditions even the best phones start to show the lack of decent optics and smaller sensor. Doing field mapping the sun is always in the wrong place relative to the photo is need. I used high quality compacts in the past like the canon G16. That was a truly brilliant little camera but the quality of cellphone cameras has killed that segment of the market. I think my best value for money approach will be to go with a mirrorless+compact lense. Still figuring out exactly what to do. I might just try find a secondhand G16 rather.
I hear you and yes in low light the bigger sensor of the mirrorless cameras comes to their right. The dynamic range of the new cameras beats the older generation dslr hands down and high iso performance is just brilliant on the newest cameras.
I am biased obviously and would recommend Fujifilm because they are just brilliant yet easily understandable menu system opposed to Olympus which has made a recent comeback or Sony which is just plain annoying wrt menu system.

Fuji has Got two bodystyles and I prefer that of the XT1 to XT5 or the XT30 I am currently using since it is old school and you have dials for every setting.
Then you got the XH2 and XH2s and S10 with the psalm dial which is more dslr like and rather easy with some benefits like optical stabilization built in and so on.

The lenses are brilliant but a third party lens by the name of Viltrox builds excellent auto focus x mount lenses and finally Tamron and Sigma joined the party.

Fujifilm is worth a look I’d say

Reaction score
Bike
I have not given up on photography and still have a passion for it but not looking for sympathy but just stating facts here:

My back and hip is giving me a great deal of pain and discomfort and it has slowed me down to be pretty much inactive after work.
We were off on Thanksgiving day and yet I have worked 106 hours for the two week pay period.

The young guys pleads the managers for more hours since they are chasing money and I never jump at extra hours even when the boss says it’s available if I need it. I would much rather ask him what he want’s me to do in extra hours and then make time in the normal working hours and complete that task for him without the need to work extra hours.

Freddy and Lohan have worked extra trains and other work they organized at other locations and probably earned 2k usd more than me for the year but I am not bothered.

I do what is expected and do not chase money.

My laptop is also too old now to run the photo editing program and it is basically a bit temperamental and in need for replacement so I guess I’ll replace the laptop sometime next year and get updated photo editing software and then work my wat back into photography again.

Will need to go see a orthopedic dok in January again I suppose.

Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When looking for a neuro surgeon you could probably do a lot worse than trying to see this guy:
Screenshot_20221127-193440_Chrome.jpg
He fused 10 vertabrae in my spine, now I am almost an upright citizen.

Reaction score
Bike
When looking for a neuro surgeon you could probably do a lot worse than trying to see this guy:
View attachment 805063
He fused 10 vertabrae in my spine, now I am almost an upright citizen.
See with the physical nature of my job and all the bending the fusion is probably the last route I want to take. According to my Mri from two years back surgery in the spine is not an option.
Osteo-perosis or Osteo’something…degenerative whatever😳

The hip may need surgery I think and this is where it gets complicated since I have no option in taking a break. Our Cdl licenses here here in the US is limited term (on visa) and if you skip 12 months it’s gone and you can’t renew again.

Just want to know what is going on and what is the way fw and how much time I have before I will need surgery in order to prevent permanent damage.

Reaction score
Bike
December 15th we should touch down in Jhb SA - around 9;30 the morning.
My son and I then will go on a ride starting the 18th of Dec and we can do a ride up to 4 days.
This will be the last adventure bike ride we can do together in SA since they will be immigrating in the first quarter of 2023.

He always wanted to do Sani, it's been a bucket list item for hom since I have done it the first time with baas Kobus and I think that was 2012...10 years ago. So we plan to ride down on the 18th to Himville and sleep over and ride up the next day unless it's still early enough and maybe we can sleep at the top of Sani?. Then we can either ride through Lesotho and exit at Fouriesburg (I think...I have no knowledge about the route through Lesotho nor the exit) and then we need to keep riding a couple of days to make it a memorable experience.

Can I please ask you guys and girls to come forward with some route possibilities and so on to fill our allowed 4 days of touring starting with Sani? We do not have to ride through Lesotho, we can also ride up and down Sani and then continue somewhere else.

I am not really sure if this thread is being read by maybe a handful of people and maybe I should ask in the 'planning a ride' section but let me first try here since I'll be able to find this thread and recommendations obviously easily.

I do not have a gps on the bike and we normally just use a paper map or phone to navigate.

Route and accommodation suggestions (like bikers friendly guest houses) will be appreciated.
Thanks