Accident damaged 1290 - advice needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
A friend of mine, who owns a breakdown service, has an accident damaged 1290R.

He recovered the bike after it hit a bakkie. Apparently, the bike was just about brand new, at the time, which was approximately three years ago.
The rider/owner lost his life in this accident.
The bike has been sitting in this guy's scrapyard ever since and nobody has any interest in it.

He called the deceased's daughter, but she indicated that he can do whatever he likes with the bike, as she has absolutely no interest in it. In fact, she does want anything to do with anything involving this bike.
To date, the insurance company has also not contacted him, nor have they collected the bike.
I went to look at it this morning and doubt whether the insurance company would have any interest in it, but that's just my opinion.

It sat outside in the open for all this time and is in a rather sad state. It hit the bakkie on the right side, so that's where the major damage is. Left hand side hit the road and has substantial skid marks.
Things that looks undamaged are the rims, disks, calipers, forks, triple clamp, screen, rear shock, seat, skid plate, etc, etc.
The radiator is broken, tanks and right hand side covers are gone, crash bar bent, clutch cover broken, and so on.

I doubt that it will be economical to fix it, but there are usable parts. Just not sure what the demand for these are, if any?
The sad part is that they lost the bike's key and there's obviously no paperwork. He said that he'll try to get in touch with the insurance company to find out what their plan is and if they don't want it, to see if he can maybe get the papers for the bike, for what it's worth.

He asked me if I knew who he could approach, who might be interested in buying the bike for parts and also how much he could expect to get for it. I didn't have an answer to either question, hence this post.
If anyone can give some pointers, it would be appreciated.

1290-1.jpg1290-2.jpg1290-3.jpg1290-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.