Advise for my wife - DSLR of +-R20 000

Dunnes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dagse dogs

May I ask for some advice on which camera would be a good buy?

My wife currently has a Canon DSLR. I believe its a 600D with the kit lens. The camera has been acting up. We repaired it a couple of times, but I feel she needs a better camera.

I don't know much if anything about cameras, but I can sketch the requirements:
We are outdoors very often. Either hiking or climbing each weekend and our holidays revolve around hiking and climbing.

Magdaleen likes the Canon interface, but if another manufacturers makes more sense, she wont mind the switch. I have noticed she misses alot of photos because she always shoots on manual, but if a better camera will let her use some of the assistance settings to shoot quicker, it would make a massive difference.

Magdaleen said that mirrorless might be the way to go as the cameras are smaller, which helps when hiking or on the bike. But is it necessary.

I believe she would trade zoom range for quality any day as she would prefer to only do cropping on the computer and spending less time editing the image.

What would you recommend for around a budget of R20 or R25k? Or must we dig a bit deeper in our pockets?

Thanks for the assistance.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Take a look at the Fujiflim range with the 18-55mm kit lens as a start.

The X-S10 (R24k kit) has IBIS, but I would consider the X-T3 (R23k kit black or R25k kit silver) - no IBIS.

Last edited:

wooly bugger

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Buell Ulysses XB12
A lot of questions.....................

Canon's are great but I only use Nikon's with the best lenses that I can afford. It works for me.

Not a big fan of PP edits, use your eyes backed up by that feeling that you get in your pants when you shoot on Manual. A quick check on the display after taking the shot will tell you a lot and offer you the chance to have another go at it.

Let me know should you require further elaboration?

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
As a photographer I come across this type of question a lot. Canon vs Nikon / mirror vs mirror-less / Megapixels etc

It all depends on what she wants to do with the final product. Large prints or digital viewing.

If she knows Canon the setup and lenses changing is always easy. Changing to another brand has new issues such as glass, operating etc.

I still shoot Manual as it gives better control. Auto doesn't allow specific focus etc. GOOD LUCK with everything

wooly bugger

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Buell Ulysses XB12
Shooting in M requires a fair amount of experience: WB, ISO, aperture and SS are key. The auto functions can help you along quite nicely until such time as you feel 100% comfortable with your abilities shooting in manual.

Bappas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
There is only two choices Canon or Nikon If she knows the Canon stay with it Look at a full frame camerra

Dunnes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Thanks all. It is evident that I don't have a clue about these things. I will show her this thread then she can investigate from there.

@teebag , those are some good options. Where did you see the prices for those cameras?
The X-S10 looks to be the right type of camera, but I will let Magdaleen decide whether she wants to move from Canon.

@wooly bugger : Yes, shooting in Manual requires experience. Magdaleen has some decent experience. I believe the right camera will release some of her frustrations built up from her current camera's issues.

Thanks again

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Thanks all. It is evident that I don't have a clue about these things. I will show her this thread then she can investigate from there.

@teebag , those are some good options. Where did you see the prices for those cameras?
The X-S10 looks to be the right type of camera, but I will let Magdaleen decide whether she wants to move from Canon.

@wooly bugger : Yes, shooting in Manual requires experience. Magdaleen has some decent experience. I believe the right camera will release some of her frustrations built up from her current camera's issues.

Thanks again
As she only has a kit lens to make a change to another system is not an issue. Foe me having Canon L glass it is difficult to move. All as mentioned before about the need.
Remember technology changes every day. Make sure you buy something you can really use for the next 6 years. My FULL FRAME Canon 5Diii still does its job 7y later.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
The X-S10 looks to be the right type of camera, but I will let Magdaleen decide whether she wants to move from Canon

Orms in Cape Town, they have an online store…

Best to go play in store - Kameraz in Rosebank have a good range and offer good service, I am sure they will match any of Orms prices

BikerJan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Outdoor photo is in Pretoria, I would recommend you visit them as well. They also have a large selection of second hand gear for sale.

I think she should bite the bullet and go for a Canon R6 with the new 100-500 mm lens for the mirrorless camera's. The eye tracking auto focus is brilliant for wildlife photo's, camera and lens is light and compact

I shoot in Aperture Control (AV) which I find works best for me

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Outdoor photo is in Pretoria, I would recommend you visit them as well. They also have a large selection of second hand gear for sale.

I think she should bite the bullet and go for a Canon R6 with the new 100-500 mm lens for the mirrorless camera's. The eye tracking auto focus is brilliant for wildlife photo's, camera and lens is light and compact

I shoot in Aperture Control (AV) which I find works best for me
In daylight definitely an option. Depends on what shutter speed you need to freeze action or not.

wooly bugger

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Buell Ulysses XB12
As she only has a kit lens to make a change to another system is not an issue. Foe me having Canon L glass it is difficult to move. All as mentioned before about the need.
Remember technology changes every day. Make sure you buy something you can really use for the next 6 years. My FULL FRAME Canon 5Diii still does its job 7y later.
Fyn brag op sy beste.......

BikerJan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
In daylight definitely an option. Depends on what shutter speed you need to freeze action or not.
Definitely, I am always trying for the highest possible shutter speeds, therefore shoots with Exposure Value of -1 1/3 to -2 and ISO normally not less than around 800. Unless panning is an option, then it is of course ISO 100, with a F Stop of 18+ to slow the shutter speed down

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Definitely, I am always trying for the highest possible shutter speeds, therefore shoots with Exposure Value of -1 1/3 to -2 and ISO normally not less than around 800. Unless panning is an option, then it is of course ISO 100, with a F Stop of 18+ to slow the shutter speed down
With the mirror-less cameras you can push the ISO. So I'll shoot higher ISO, keep the shutter fast and depending on the subject the F STOP
That is why MANUAL is so much better. And shooting in RAW helps to recover some data if you over or under expose as well in Lightroom.

Equipment (glass) depends on the subject a lot.

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Each to gis own
I was hooked in Nikon and stille like (love) the brand
Just awesome color and reliable

However; being someone that often hike I have changed to Fuji and do not look back

The most awesome lenses and great color as well

I have the XT30 as may fav with various great lenses like the 56mm f1.2 and 16mm, 23 etc

Aperture ring on the lens, the experience shooting manual is the way Fuji is setup is amazing

I personally would bot recomsnt the S10 Fuji which robs you from the real Fuji experience with the Psalm dial

Look at the XT30 mark 2 and add some awesome prime lenses
Stay away from the kit lenses since she sounds serious about her hoby

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
@Tom van Brits go wash your mouth there is nothing wrong with the 18-55 Fuji kit, in fact it is probably the best kit zoom of any brand

wooly bugger

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Buell Ulysses XB12
Each to gis own
I was hooked in Nikon and stille like (love) the brand
Just awesome color and reliable

However; being someone that often hike I have changed to Fuji and do not look back

The most awesome lenses and great color as well

I have the XT30 as may fav with various great lenses like the 56mm f1.2 and 16mm, 23 etc

Aperture ring on the lens, the experience shooting manual is the way Fuji is setup is amazing

I personally would bot recomsnt the S10 Fuji which robs you from the real Fuji experience with the Psalm dial

Look at the XT30 mark 2 and add some awesome prime lenses
Stay away from the kit lenses since she sounds serious about her hoby
I agree with @teebag
Sommer install spell-checker, as well................
Just kidding, mate!

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Typing on a phone is a bit of a challenge especially when I am at work and in a rush.
Understandable though and that matters.
I did not enjoy my kit 18/55 and get WAY better pictures with Fuji prime.

I did say each to his own.
I always do my best to give people advise and save them money.
I have paid too many school fees yet not the last.
Anyway; hope she is happy with whatever she puts her money at

Salty950

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
I’d advise mirroless as a start - the whole industry and all development is going in that direction.

I’m only familiar with canon and Sony, as a travel camera that I always have laying in a backpack or a car I use a Sony A6500, they also make a 6700 which is cheaper.

If you can spend a bit more then canon R6 or something along those lines.

It’s all about the lens, don’t get fooled into some bundle that’ll give you a backpack, memory cards and some crappy variable F4.5-5.6 lens (this is the most important bit of info in this entire post, stay away from kit lenses it’s like buying a 990 and restricting it to only work in first gear with a blocked air filter and flat tyres)

The best lens for you spend imo is the canon 35mm f2, cheap as chips and incredible performance, It’ll also teach you to be better as a photographer, with time try and find a 70-200 f2.8. With these two you’ll be sorted for most anything you want to do but as a start if it was my money I’d look for a Sony mirroless then get a 35mm with canon adaptor.

Latest posts