Africa Twin TransAfrica by 2 Aussies Modification list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
We call the bike Anubis we have done a few bits and bobs to him to do the trip. I was asked to  post a list of these modifications so here it is.

Touratech quick release Topbox plate - Is CNC machined from quality aluminium. The mounting bracket is screwed onto the tail rack of the motorcycle. I have not found any other commercially available replacement but there is a several design flaws and quality issues so I could not recommend it. (hence no link)

Africa Queens Rally rack - Steel rear rack that completely replaces the OEM one. I had to heavily modify this rack to fit my needs, but is stronger and allows more and more secure mounting. www.africanqueens.de

MRA vario screen -Varioscreen can be adjusted height and has an additional wind channel. The wind channel and adjustment allow the setting of the screen to an ideal position.  www.mra.de

Barkbuster VPS handguards - These are heavy duty touring handguards with an alloy backbone and a variable height wind deflector to keep you warm and dry. Made in Australia so they must be the best. www.barkbusters.net

Boano 36lt fuel tank - 36lt kevlar carbon fibre fuel tank with aluminium locking cap modification. www.boana.com

Facet Fuel-pump - The Africa Twin OEM fuel pump is know to be a weakness of the bike so it is necessary to change it. The pump is a Facet 40105 Solid State pump which is know for its reliability as it is regularly used in Aircraft. www.rallydesign.co.uk

Starcom1 Advance - A small permanently mounted rider to pillion communication system that allow clear conversation at speed up to 100mph, it can also accept a radio for bike to bike, an mp3 for tunes and a mobile phone.  www.starcom1.com

BSM Titanium Can - Future titanium large extreme end can is about 1/3 the weight of the original exhaust, and reported to be no louder. The weight savings alone was the first reason I did this but when making the  pannier rack it become indispensable. www.bsm-exhausts.com

Excel rims -  The salt and grit that is put on the roads in the UK will eventually eat the rims of any bike. The Excel rims (17/3.0 and 21/ 1.85) are engineered and designed to perform in extreme hostile environments where other rims routinely fail. www.rkexcelamerica.com

TKC-80 Tyres -TKC80 are the best dual sport tyre I have ever used they are excellent in the wet or dry on road or off, and they look great on any adventure style motorcycle.  www.conti-online.com

Honda Centre Stand - A OEM must have for any travel, it is the most convenient  way to change a tyre, oil the chain, or a host of any other repairs.

WP Emulsion Shock -  4014 specifically designed for a touring bike. Anubis is fitted with a 10% heaver spring,  preload and remote height adjuster. www.suspension.com.

Pro-oiler -  Is an electronically controlled precision electromagnetic pump, that automatically adds oil to your chain without the sensitive to temperature and oil viscosity, you can adjust while on the move for wet or dusty conditions. www.pro-oiler.com

Jesse Top Box- Is the only top box that is make of aluminium that is big enough to fit two full face BMW S5 Helmets, is lockable, and is not a perfect rectangle. Unfortunately they no longer make the same ones. www.jesseluggage.com

Oxford Heated Grips - They keep your hands nice and warm, what more can I say. www.oxprod.com

Rikycross Crash Bars - Rikycross bars protects the fuel tank against bumps and falls, they have been designed to fully wrap the bigfuel tank. The were chosen because they mount to the frame and not the weak mounting bolts on the bash plate. www.rikycross.it

Vista Cruise Control - On long rides the right hand can get stiff and sore due to the need to keep it on the throttle. This is a light simple device that locks the throttle in place, I have fitted mine so that is slips to "off" within 20-30 seconds, but this is plenty of time to flex the fingers.

12V Power socket - Purchased from the local electronics store, and is used to charge GPS, Phones ectra.

Fog Lights -  just cheep fitted with 3W leds

Dash board - A simple fibre Glass overlay that is used to mount gadgets and toys as well as give the cockpit a "cleaner" look.

Pannier Rack - There was no "slim" line pannier rack available for the Africa Twin, without lowering the exhaust. The rack was made from heavy duty brackets, and old Jesse pannier rack and bits and bobs collected from rubbish bins for the better part of a year.

seat - After having a disastrous experience with a reshaping company, and the seat wearing out 2X in 6 weeks, Xander when though 3 designs of his own before settling on a composite of 10/8lb foam (www.pentonvillerubber.co.uk) with a "ice cube" medical grade gel-pad  (www.danmedicasouth.co.uk).

High link pipe - Because we wanted a narrow bike when geared up this meant that we had to move the exhaust pipe up and in. Xander worked with a local stainless steal pipe bender to form fit a extension pipe.

Panniers - Three years in the making, Xander originally made these panniers for an XT600Z but scalloped and finished them to fit Anubis. We feel we now have the perfect panniers for our needs.

Tent pannier - A simple tube pannier that is form fitted from ABS waste pipe for our tent, it means that we can access our tent with out opening any other box.

Front Panniers – 2 5lt jerry cans gave there life for these guys, it was a simple matter of cutting off the spout and handle, cutting out a door, using that piece as the door, 2 U-bolts as the top mount a trunk (boot in Aus) hydraulic mount for  the bottom. and  bob is your fathers brother

Well that is all  :imaposer: if you need/want any more info let me know.
Cheers all and thanks again for a great bash!
Xander and Tam