Age old question - which Garmin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I have looked through previous discussions and so far have not found an answer.

I have been using a Zumo 660 for the past few years and have found it quite suitable for car use and for areas where T4A has “roads”. On the bike I find the screen difficult to read in sunlight but have lived with that problem. But lately I have been doing lots of completely off track riding in Moz and my 660 is showing some shortcomings.

While following routes created from tracks on Google Earth, it frequently recalculates the route - usually at inconvenient times. And my guessing the track has taken me completely off the planned route with difficulty of getting to the route without too much backtracking. So the biggest shortfall is no compass and estimating from the sun position has led to some real misdirected adventures. So latitude, longitude and compass are needed. (I do carry a reasonably large scale paper chart).

So the plan is to get a 64s or a GPSMAP78s. The latter being waterproof removes a concern about riding in rain.

I am in London at present and prices on these units are around £180-200 and cheaper if I buy a refurbished unit.

Any advice on these units or alternatives?