Akrapovic test versus standard - 1250

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucet

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So a friend and I rode to CT and back on our 1250's. He has the dove grey and I have the HP. He has a full Akrapovic exhaust system without a catalytic converter and mine is 100% standard.

What we found:
- There is a slight acceleration advantage but this could be due to me being about 20kgs heavier and bigger than he is. We tested from pull away and from 6th gear at 120km/h while fully loaded
- Our fuel consumption every time we filled up, was almost exactly the same - within 1 ltr. Sometimes I was more than him and sometimes he was more than me.
- He did not have a hot inner right leg/shin. I did sometimes and I still maintain this is due to the catalytic converter. (he doesnt have one now)

Based on what we found, I think its a total waste of money if you are doing it for any performance gains. I think it cost him just over R35k for the full system. We also proved that the cat does not restrict the motor performance wise. The big disadvantages he had apart from the noise on the long trip, is that his exhaust side pannier mounting bars and pannier were coated in a yellow film obviously from un-burnt fuel or something. His right pannier almost looks galvanized on the rear of it.
Thankfully there was no stock before we left as I almost fitted one. I wont be doing so now.