Amageza II. Air-support required!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

Mod's please move this thread to where you may feel its better situated. For the lack of a appropriate thread, I've placed it here.

Okay, her goes:
It seems there are quite a number of pilots among us. Some of you may have your own aircraft. If you fall in the latter category, please check this out.

As you may or may not know, the objective for the Amageza is a full on Dakar-style rally in 5 years. This year we had 20 competitors and only one injury. The race was remote, but will be even more so next year. I'm looking at having it in Sutherland area over two days and 1100km.

Communication is a huge problem for us. The only way to communicate with the riders is via two-way radio. This year we had three satelite phones and 4 VHF radios among marshals. We also have no way to track the riders due to the lack of any cell-phone reception except in a 10km radius of a town.

None of the satellite tracking operators cover South-Africa (Spot, etc).

What aircraft we need, and why we need it:
Cessna 206, 182, 172: (One needed, 2 will be awesome). Can operate from a gravel road, and load a stretcher. Cheaper than helicopter.
Robinson R44: (one needed, 2 flippen great). Would be perfect to take a injured rider from scene to fixed wing for transfer to nearest airfield close to a hospital (Worcester).
Gyro-copter x 3: Radio relay station, Race monitor. These aircraft will stay in the air during the race. 12 hours per day, doing shifts of 3 hours each.

I have a Commercial Pilots License (fixed wing) so you can ask technical questions if you like.

This thread is to check what WD's are out there who can help with the supply and use of their aircraft. You might not make a dime, but I will try my best to cover your fuel and give you food and a place to sleep during the race.

Amageza is not sposored at all, and I'm not the begging type. The big cost driving factor here, is to keep it cheap (under 1k per day) for the competitors, but have the medical infrastructure to get a rider to hospital fast. This year I had the Cape Town rescue services on standby, and all the nearby hospitals alerted. The one injury we had, we could get into a ambulance within 40min of his fall.

I am super open for suggestions, as I am not a rally organiser, but am gonna do my damndest to have a decent bike rally in Southern Africa or die trying!

To check out what happened this year, you can check some stuff out here:

The planning:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=65102.0
The report:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=68204.0