Anakee Wild, the perfect WC tyre?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So I saddled up the 2011 GS and went on a 3560km trip, Pta to Cpt, then met up for friends for scenic gravel routes to maximally avoid tar and see the amazing countryside, to the Buff in Mossel Bay which saw us cover some 875km of fantastic gravel routes, then the return trip from Mossel Bay to Pta.

As a long time Karoo 3 user I had an iffy Karoo 3 on the front and, since I could not source one in Jhb-Pta I asked TracMac in Cpt to see what they could do.

Nada, no Karoo 3, but they had the Anakee Wild in store, so it was duly fitted, inflated to 2.2 bar, and off I went.

Now I had the used Karoo 3 on the trip to CPT and the GS was stable at speed on tar, as I am used to, but the Anakee Wild immediately struck me as nervous at speed on tar.

On gravel I ran the rear Karoo 3 at 1.9 bar and the Anakee Wild eventually settled at 1.6 bar.

Good traction from the Anakee Wild on gravel saved me, and my underpants, at times.

But the trip back to Pta on tar, even when adjusting tyre pressures between 2 and 2.2 bar, again showed the Ankee Wild to be uncomfortable at speed.

So I did 1400 km or high speed tar with the Karoo 3 front from PTA to Cpt with the normal stable behaviour and then 1200 km of high speed tar with the Anakee Wild on the front from Mossel Bay to Pta with a nervous front end.

It has to be stated that the Anakee Wild is only rated for 170km/h and this may be the reason for the high speed nervousness.

My verdict is that the Anakee Wild is a great Western Cape tyre since you lucky guys have amazingly well maintained, very scenic, gravel routes and do not have to do the 1000 km+ tar stuff to get to them.