Another Valley of 1000 Hills ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssBee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Looks like I have to break the ice here with this one...ok...riders: Andy, Outhere with his wife as pillion (respect is due :mwink:), JonW, Slashback, DirtyBoy, and myself. Facing a superhot day (41 deg down in the Umgeni valley!!!) we met between Sleepy Hollow and Cato ridge and ventured down into the valley to the Nagel Dam. Then proceeded north to the top of the mountain overlooking the dam from the northern shore...stunning!Then, meandered toward the river, following some endless twisties, even the odd tar road was fun! >:D. Picked up the "Pipe Track" and rode 'downstream above the river, more endless twisties, such fun! The pipe track route is sort of split where it crosses the river, and here is a 'kuka shop' where we stopped in anticipation of a frostie....fark, all beverages were warm, so that idea was canned and we pushed on. By this time the heat was farking unbearable.

After we fragmented for a while as a result of a little "off", it was decided to can a certain technical section (Sorry, JonW, you seemed heartsore that this decision was made!) and head for home. Home being my place where we planned to spend the rest of the day braaing and having a good few cold ones.

Thanks JonW and Outhere for the recce'ing and leading, it was really good. Thanks to my wife for the hard work in the kitchen.

Looking forward to the next one!

...wtf...why suddenly can't I post pics? Under additional options it does not give me that option?

Very nice, hope to join in on the next one , the pics is a issue i found put last week.

sound ike a good ride...sorry I had to miss it.

Next time  :thumleft: will be there.

Been like that for a while have to use photobucket etcHeres one i hope
DSC05913.jpg

We were on top here
DSC05927.jpg

Looking at Natals Table Moutain

DSC06025.jpg

DSC05920.jpg

Nagel dam SA record bass lately
DSC06030.jpg

DSC06033.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

DSC06040.jpg

7Nov1.jpg
7Nov2.jpg[img]
https://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/essbee_photos/7Nov3.jpg
https://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/essbee_photos/7Nov4.jpg[/img]
Here we are above Nagel Dam...awesome view!
7Nov5.jpg

...and back at my place...what a day.
7Nov6.jpg[img]
https://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/essbee_photos/7Nov7.jpg[/img]

7Nov7.jpg

Sorry for the confusion and the lumpy posting...had no idea about the photo bucket thing!! :-[

I volunteered to recce a route for the weekend's ride, so I enlisted the help of Outhere, who is always keen on riding and scouting new routes in the middle of the week.

This is the route we decided upon, except that on the day due to the extreme 40 plus dgree heat in the Valley, the group (in my absence), decided to skip the testing river, sand and rock section and slab it home to Hillcrest from Inanda Dam.

InandaPic.jpg

A couple of shots parked in the shade having a break just outside Nagel Dam:

Andy:

DSC01702.jpg

DirtyBoy and Slashback:

DSC01703.jpg

Outhere and Sarah:

DSC01705.jpg

From here we took a track to the top of the mountain overlooking Nagel Dam

Awesome spot, involved a few km of riding through virgin veld, no paths or tracks

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

From there into the Valley.

At the Shebeen with only warm beer on offer  :mad:

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

From there headed to Inanda Dam along the pipeline road, then hit the tar to Essbee's place where cold beers were waiting.

Thanks for the ride guys, next one in a couple of weeks time, route still to be decided, beers at my place afterwards

Thats not all that came off in the pool. But no photos of that, well not on this website anyway

wait 'till i down(up)load mine.........
thanks for the lunch, EssBee and M.

Great guys.

Makes me jealous.

How did you get to the top of that mountain over Nagle. We tried once and then hit a fence that we did not want to open (if it's the same spot)

We got to a point at about S29 32.908 E30 39.291 and then there was a fence and a house with no-one to ask permission to open the gate. 

Would love to get the GPS track and compare it with our attempt.

Time to ride the valley again!

GundaGunda said:
Great guys.

Makes me jealous.

How did you get to the top of that mountain over Nagle. We tried once and then hit a fence that we did not want to open (if it's the same spot)

We got to a point at about S29 32.908 E30 39.291 and then there was a fence and a house with no-one to ask permission to open the gate. 

Would love to get the GPS track and compare it with our attempt.

Time to ride the valley again!

See the map that I posted above, the blue path is the route to the top of the mountain. We did have to open a gate to get there, but no houses in the vicinity.

Peter, that 5th pic that Outhere posted is by the gate, looking 'out'.

Yes, come on, you're due for a KZN ride...last time I saw you was the 1st March...remember that day?!?

EssBee said:
Peter, that 5th pic that Outhere posted is by the gate, looking 'out'.
Yes, come on, you're due for a KZN ride...last time I saw you was the 1st March...remember that day?!?

Yes.  :ricky:

There is a possibility - fairly remote at this stage - of another project of a year or so in KZN starting mid year. 
And by total co-incidence my son may also be posted to KZN.
But you wont see the KLE again - getting a Tenere this weekend.

[ Reminder to self - Pay Durban Surf Lifesaving Subs - may need my locker  ]   

Congrats on the Tenere...damm good choice!

Latest posts