Apple iPhone 3G

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
I seriously didn't know where to post this.
You ma? Because it's not bike related or the GPS and Nav section?

I think here is a good place because of the phone's travel friendly features.

I have only had the phone for three days but I'm loving it.

Good things:
It's sleek and sexy
The OS is fantastic. It's fast, smooth, intuitive, logical and stable
It's iconic and original. All touch-screen smartphones are compared to it. Sure the Samsung Omnia is better but let's face it; that one is an iPhone clone.
The apps are great and perfectly integrated with the OS. Many are free but most must be paid for
It's very customisable, hackable and tweakable
It uses Google maps and GoogleEarth sat images in the GPS app.
The Wi-Fi is fast and extremely simple to use.
You can make calls while surfing the net on Wi-Fi or 3G and play music at the same time

Bad things:
It's slightly heavy. Too heavy for a shirt pocket
It's not infinitely customisable unless you hack the OS heavily which is seriously not recommended
The GPS lacks real functionality

The rumors: Before I got the phone I did exhaustive research on the net. Some of the "facts" were so off putting that I almost didn't take the iPhone.
1. It has no GPS. Partial lie. Yes it does have GPS tracking. But it relies mostly on cell triangulation assisted by satellite signals. The accuracy is good, very good. At walking speed it is near perfect but in a moving vehicle it suffers a little. The GPS on this phone is a brilliant novelty but it's not as serious as a dedicated GPS.
2. You can't assign your own custom ringtones. Lie. Yes you can but it takes a little creativity. Instructions on the net.
3. You can't MMS. Partial Lie. The pre-installed apps do not allow it but aftermarket apps do.
4. You can't forward messages or business cards. True. But rumour has it that Apple will fix this with the next OS update. I'm sure there are already aftermarket apps that facilitate this anyway.
5. The bluetooth will not pair with non-apple devices. Lie. It detects/pairs with every bluetooth device I have.
6. It doesn't have half the features other smartphones have. Partial Lie. Out of the box the phone may be a little bare bones but download a dozen free apps from the iStore and you have a handset that can do almost everything from checking moon phases & tides to shopping lists, to the periodic table of elements to e-books to Bloomberg's financial tickers. All of the above for free and much more if you are willing to pay between $0.99 and $2 an app.
7. It won't work with iPod technology such as the docking/charging cradle. Lie. It charges/plays just fine, piping music through my home theatre system. With a bluetooth headset you can even take calls while the music is laying for your guests, uninterrupted.

Another thing to consider:
Dispite the iPhone's ease of use, I think it's completely unsuited for people who are not 100% computer savvy.
The get the best out of the phone you have to hook it up to your Mac or PC now and then. It's an overpriced and underpowered phone in the hands of a Luddite.
The phone is perhaps not for developing countries. It assumes you download your music off the net like most Americans and Europeans do nowadays. It assumes there are Wi-Fi hotspots everywhere. It assumes many things that simply hasn't arrived in SA yet. Some of the features like the Traffic Notifier won't work here. Don't blame the phone for these things.

Any questions?

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 343
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 05.jpg