Avoid duplicate waypoint names between routes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Just wanted to share this with everybody.
In December I made a bad mistake with creating routes, and it’s one that can be easily avoided.
I had to create two routes, one for the cage and one for the bikes. The cage was going to our destination via tar, the bikes obviously on dirt.
I created the two routes using waypoints. I always name my waypoints something like D1_1, D1_2, etc.
D stands for Day, so D1_1 is Day 1, waypoint 1.
D1_2 is Day 1, waypoint 2. And so on, up to the destination.
I thus created the two routes, but made the mistake of using the same waypoint names on the two different routes. This was no problem for the software on the PC to handle, but then I uploaded the routes to the GPS’s.
I didn’t know this then, but the GPS could not figure out which waypoint went with which route. The route only started at Heidelberg. When I got there and tried to load my route, the GPS simply said the route could not be calculated.
For the whole trip I had to go into the GPS and find the next waypoint myself. (Luckily my GPS could follow waypoints as well as routes).
Moral of the story is, when creating routes on the computer, don’t duplicate waypoint names between different routes, your GPS is going to hate you.