Axes, Hatchets and Tomahawks

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Boerbok

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I've been using a Gransfors Bruks small splitting axe for about 7 years. Mostly used for splitting hardwood for a wood burning stove, or firewood in general. It performs very well for it's medium size. Old picture.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-small-splitting-axe/

Yesterday I bought the big brother, the GB splitting maul.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-splitting-maul/

Some gnarly logs are too hard to split in one go with the smaller axe. This one will eat through knotted hardwood like a bulldog through a bowl of mieliepap...

Comparing the splitting maul to the small splitting axe:

80 cm vs 60 cm

3.2 kg vs 1.6 kg

Poll for striking a wedge:

I especialy like the concave grinds, grippy handles, leather sheaths and the steel handle guards to protect against overstriking. The guard works like a charm, the handle on the smaller axe is still unmarked after splitting 10+ cords of hardwood.

https://www.britannica.com/science/cord

Ek vind daar is min dinge wat my van werk laat vergeet soos om 'n groot byl te swaai en 'n vuur te maak. Behalwe natuurlik vir powerslides op 'n grond bergpas...  :ricky:

KiLRoy

Perfekte Balans tussen krag en soepelheid..
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Moerse nice Boerbok, and imho the most practical size too - second one. Can you swing it one and 2 handed?  Where did you buy it from?

Wolzac

Wolzac
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Baie mooi BB, Bahco sells similar ones in SA but with a Synthetic Handle.

Boerbok

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
KiLRoy said:
Moerse nice Boerbok, and imho the most practical size too - second one. Can you swing it one and 2 handed?  Where did you buy it from?

Thanks Kilroy...

I agree the small splitting axe is a nice size. It is versatile enough to split logs as thick as your thigh (2-handed), but can also prepare kindling if you hold it near the head (1-handed). Nice size for camping duties.

I bought it years ago from an SA importer and online retailer that have since gone under. You may have to import.

I'm in Aus now and bought the maul from a local gardening and lawn mower shop.
https://www.vctraders.com.au/product-category/knives-and-axes/gransfors/

Cannot say I'm not tempted to buy more... The Outdoor axe looks like a nice small allrounder, and it also has the steel collar for protection.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
Making a few axes again, keeping myself out of jail. 🤭

No before phodies, this was however a well used and stuffed up axe head. I cut most of the ugly stuff off and grinded it to form, hope to come out more or less like a Tomahawk. I had a old piece of hickory and used that as a handle.

20220915_121150.jpg 20220915_121159.jpg

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Making a few axes again, keeping myself out of jail. 🤭

No before phodies, this was however a well used and stuffed up axe head. I cut most of the ugly stuff off and grinded it to form, hope to come out more or less like a Tomahawk. I had a old piece of hickory and used that as a handle.
You won't belief it, but I'm busy with a small hatchet for my grab bag that has an almost identical blade profile, maybe a touch more upsweep and a straighter bit. Was going to fit the handle this morning, but stage 4 killed my enthusiasm. I'm going for a Gransfors Bruk Mini Hatchet style handle on mine.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
You won't belief it, but I'm busy with a small hatchet for my grab bag that has an almost identical blade profile, maybe a touch more upsweep and a straighter bit. Was going to fit the handle this morning, but stage 4 killed my enthusiasm. I'm going for a Gransfors Bruk Mini Hatchet style handle on mine.
Better show us, I like that Gransfors Bruk Mini Hatchet style handle, the one I made is a tad to big for my liking, but the eye of the axe was big as is.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Het sommer n ou steel gevat om 6F6EACB9-2632-4CC3-A803-2FD315F546F9.jpeg 945F577F-FD57-46B0-B9CB-90BAAC88B717.jpeg die Gransfors Bruk styl handvatsel te proef. Wou nie een van scratch af maak en dan dit nie like nie. Maar ek hou van dit, vir so kort steel gee die shape goeie leverage. Reguit grypsak toe.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Het vandag n klein byltjie in die smee oond gehad. Hy het n vreeslike nou oog gehad en ek wou graag n tomahawk styl hef gebruik wat nie n wig nodig het nie. So ek het die oog lekker gerek met n drift.01D8CBAB-E7AC-4EE8-8DE5-BA4496076139.jpeg

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Daarna geheat treat en getemper. Het die tradisionele manier gevolg deur kleur te jaag. Strooi by die snykant, dan brons en dan pers. In sout water gewuench en toe in canola olie getemperCB93D534-564E-4771-A27B-4D1155AC1A63.jpeg

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Introducing the tommi-axe of die tommabyl, a bushcraft axe with a slip-fit handle.

So, I stretched the eye as above and then made a slip-fit handle from cured pekan. A slip-fit is basically a tomahawk handle, which has the advantage of being field replaceable, and a loose head is never an issue. There are also no wedges to faf with. But these handles often can have less utility, as they tend to run on the thin side and they are often slippery.E9EA82BB-CB5B-43EF-ADE4-221514200F46.jpeg