Baboon butt?... Airhawk Seat review.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayneh

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BSA (all models)
After a few hours does your seat seem like something out of a Medieval torture dungeon?  :patch:

Well, having a 4-5 day trip to the Cederberg ahead I have had to succumb and research a solution for Baboon Butt, without having to change my otherwise perfect steed.

After reading around  :deal: I decided to try the Airhawk Seat. It comes in a separate Rider & Pillion form and clips easily onto your existing seat (which is great if you ever decide to upgrade/change ya bike).

There's a number of our local Wilddog supportive Accessory Dealers who stock the Airhawk Seats... Both in JHB & the Cape. Adventurer kindly put me in contact with Chrisl, since Chris was in the Cape (but it seems to be pretty much the same price from ether). Ordered on Friday... Transfer the moola on Saturday... Was delivered to my door by Tuesday... Now that is service!!! Tx Chrisl.  :thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

...Almost forgot. When chatting to Chrisl about what I needed, and the bike I rode, he recommended I go with the Airhawk Pillion Seat, since it is narrower and has had great reviews from guys with similar enduro-type seats (like the HP2 guys).

So it arrives and within 5 minutes it's installed...
I quickly determined the best position for the seat; removed the bike's seat unit so I could slip the two straps over; refastened the seat; inflated (by mouth) the air-cushion cells via the easily retched tube; and was ready to test.  :ricky:

Only had time for a quickish ride, so these are my initial views... Will followup with some long-haul comments when back from our longish trip towards end December.

Nice streamline profile....   

DSC02316.jpg

The straps run under the seat. And since there are hooks on ether side, the Airhawk Seat can be easily removed without removing the whole bike seat, if need be...

DSC02317.jpg

The Airhawk Pillion Seat was most definitely the best option for my narrow seat. The Rider Seat would have flapped down too much ether side. This fit was great...

DSC02318.jpg

Unzip the rear section to view the numerous air cells...

DSC02319.jpg

And get access to the inflation tube...

DSC02320.jpg

I followed the recommended instructions and fully inflated the seat before sitting. You will immediately notice this extends your seat high by a further 30mm and it felt very hard...

DSC02321.jpg

I then deflated the seat bit by bit until I sat into the seat... Not on top. If you feel the bike's seat then you've obviously deflated too much. Your butt should rest about 10-15mm above the original bike seat...

DSC02322.jpg

Post test ride... Besides feeling amazingly soft, my weight seemed to spread the air towards the outer sections, thereby making the seat broader and very comfy.  :eek:
Also this seat had the additional effect of acting like an additional air shock... And smoothed out a lot of the small vibrations (from bike or corrugated roads). This made for lekker high speed dirt road being attacked in comfort, AND (just as importantly) with vastly less rider fatigue... Which is where accidents happen.

Only negative comment so far... (and it's more strange, than negative) when accelerating or braking hard, I could feel my butt initially move about 10mm backwards, or forwards, respectively... Like when your car seat is in-between settings. 

So far, for just over R900 (with courier) I am very happy. We shall see what 5 days through the Cederberg will say.

:mwink: