Bigish step ups.

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
How to?

Had a bit of fail on Breedtsnek yesterday.  I know how the hardcore okes here make fun of Breedts being super easy but for me it's never been super simple. 

I've only ever done the far (north) side up once before and yesterday we came from that side.  Just as the road starts to ascend there's a quite big step up/ledge.  There seems to be a bypass on the right but there's lots of soft sand and twists so I figured the ledge was the lesser of 2 evils.

Didn't manage to get much momentum, hit the ledge and the front bounced up VERY hard.  I was standing and still took a good shot to the balls  :eek: so it bounced much higher than I thought. 
The big bounce plus lack of momentum meant I came straight back down on top of the ledge and went pretty sidewards and got pitched off the bike. 

Bike is fine but my ego, and nuts were a bit bruised :imaposer:   

So what's the technique for climbing ledges on a big fat bike?      Because of the tall seat heigh on the 1290 I hate going slowly and paddling through things, especially rocky stuff where you tend to suddenly find your legs aren't long enough and go over repeatedly.

(My disclaimer is that I probably just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be on a bike yesterday. I had a bit of a tank slapper on the most benign of farm roads in the morning, still not sure why and my brain just wasn't engaged with riding yesterday. The rest of breedts was fine, just felt like a lot of effort after the fall and adrenalin surge.)

edgy

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
The only way is making the front light and getting it up and momentum! If there is enough traction on the rear wheel then its a lot easier

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
edgy said:
The only way is making the front light and getting it up and momentum! If there is enough traction on the rear wheel then its a lot easier

Yeah I started slipping around on the run up and couln't get much momentum going...I think I also just wasn't committed and kinda half-arsed the attempt.

roxenz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Roadhawg said:
(My disclaimer is that I probably just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be on a bike yesterday. I had a bit of a tank slapper on the most benign of farm roads in the morning, still not sure why and my brain just wasn't engaged with riding yesterday. The rest of breedts was fine, just felt like a lot of effort after the fall and adrenalin surge.)

Ja, it is like that some days. Last year also went over Breedt's Nek from north side. Eyeballed the step-up, got smooth momentum going and went over it with no hassle. On other side stopped to wait for 2 other guys who were falling behind a bit. Put my leg out, foot slipped on loose gravel and in the process of fighting the bike (and losing), I tore my hammy. It hurt. As stupidity does...

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
roxenz said:
Roadhawg said:

Ja, it is like that some days. Last year also went over Breedt's Nek from north side. Eyeballed the step-up, got smooth momentum going and went over it with no hassle. On other side stopped to wait for 2 other guys who were falling behind a bit. Put my leg out, foot slipped on loose gravel and in the process of fighting the bike (and losing), I tore my hammy. It hurt. As stupidity does...

Ya shit, as I was pitching over and doing my little ninja roll as the bike came down, I had visions of trying to explain myself to my friends and family if I ended up hurting myelf.  I had specifically told my loved ones to look after themselves as Emergency Rooms are not something you want to rely on currently......But the itch was too much and when the invite for a ride came...I went.  :biggrin:

There's always that risk of injury with this past time I guess.

Dux

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
edgy said:

As Edgy stated , front light , body weight backwards and a steady enough throttle application so as not to lose traction , commit yourself to the obstacle . Whatever you do don’t look at it , look past it planning your exit .

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Try multiplying the weighting on the rear wheel by compressing the rear suspension with your legs/bodyweight just as you open up to lighten the front.

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
Eish Bob...that Karwyderskraal bend and the bloukop tjikkens, sjo yo yo  :ricky:

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
were you in sport mode? (you shouldnt be)
Were you at risk of bottoming out?
was it a continuous climb that you had to get over and continue or could you have done this as a single obstacle?
and how tall are you? bike has never hit me in the balls when standing...or maybe I am not as blessed....

did you burn your clutch some? there shouldnt be any pity on a clutch with a tough climb on a big bike, as soon as you stop then the clutch will meet real abuse...

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
m0lt3n said:
were you in sport mode? (you shouldnt be)
Were you at risk of bottoming out?
was it a continuous climb that you had to get over and continue or could you have done this as a single obstacle?
and how tall are you? bike has never hit me in the balls when standing...or maybe I am not as blessed....

did you burn your clutch some? there shouldnt be any pity on a clutch with a tough climb on a big bike, as soon as you stop then the clutch will meet real abuse...

Just one vertical step up and then a chilled section after.  My brain wasn't functioning and I was way too cautious trying to get up it. I think it was at about the limit of what you can just hit with the front wheel without actually getting the wheel actually lifting before hitting it (which I can't really do).  Was silly.  Shouldve gone around it.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
no man, if you didnt hit the bashplate then it wasnt that tough. Sounds like you already explained you didnt fully commit. Then I normally stall with front wheel up and tip over cause there is no footing...and the bike fall over hard on some rocks. I am still adjusting to new 990 ground clearance as just trusting your bike is a big deal here.

but again, there is a thing on the big bike KTM groups of how cool you are riding offroad in sport mode. It doesnt work.
and if you were afraid of the step up, get controlled half on it, then rock it up. rock it up meaning reverse and forward with clutch for 20cm or whatever rocks allow and then on attempt 3 when you have your clutch timing correct you go for it

Cracker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
The problem with step ups is you only ever see them once on an adventure bike. The act of adventure riding means you wanna be travelling on roads you don't know. It gives you no time to practice or get things right all the time.

You could hit that same step-up 10 more times and clear it easily, making the first fall a non-issue.

The very nature of our riding means we don't get it right a lot of the time .............................. and that's the fun bit, isn't it?

It makes for good stories but, unfortunately, can cost a bit in replacing parts

J3THRO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
I started doing more and more technical riding on the plastic bike and learned that you need to do these things over and over to get the technique near perfect but also to build the confedence. Those skills and confidence automatically transferred to the big adventure bike.
If you dont have a plastic bike at your disposal, find a step up that is not too small or too big. I mean big enough to still challenge you a bit but not too big to intimidate you.
Once you have this step up you need to do it over and over. Iike 50-100 times. Pretty soon you are going to figure out what works and what doesn’t including bike set up and body position. If you can get to a stage where you can clear the step up 10 times in a row perfectly, then you should be good as far as technique goes. Now attempt a few different step ups bigger and smaller.
That is our training technique on the hard enduro obstacles with the plastics bikes at least.

I will add there are days when things are just out of sync and stuff that should be easy bites you. I suppose the trick is to figure out early on when you are having one of those days and just reset your mind or accept defeat to fight another day.