Bigish step ups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
How to?

Had a bit of fail on Breedtsnek yesterday.  I know how the hardcore okes here make fun of Breedts being super easy but for me it's never been super simple. 

I've only ever done the far (north) side up once before and yesterday we came from that side.  Just as the road starts to ascend there's a quite big step up/ledge.  There seems to be a bypass on the right but there's lots of soft sand and twists so I figured the ledge was the lesser of 2 evils.

Didn't manage to get much momentum, hit the ledge and the front bounced up VERY hard.  I was standing and still took a good shot to the balls  :eek: so it bounced much higher than I thought. 
The big bounce plus lack of momentum meant I came straight back down on top of the ledge and went pretty sidewards and got pitched off the bike. 

Bike is fine but my ego, and nuts were a bit bruised :imaposer:   

So what's the technique for climbing ledges on a big fat bike?      Because of the tall seat heigh on the 1290 I hate going slowly and paddling through things, especially rocky stuff where you tend to suddenly find your legs aren't long enough and go over repeatedly.

(My disclaimer is that I probably just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be on a bike yesterday. I had a bit of a tank slapper on the most benign of farm roads in the morning, still not sure why and my brain just wasn't engaged with riding yesterday. The rest of breedts was fine, just felt like a lot of effort after the fall and adrenalin surge.)