Bike Registration and Carnet Expired in Uganda - Sell or Freight back home options.

SydneyAds

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hello All,

I have a bike that was registered in Australia and is currently in Uganda. It entered Uganda under a Carnet. I myself have dual Australian and UK citizenship, if that might help.

I left the bike to travel back to Australia briefly, and expected to return to pick up the bike, but due to COVID, I couldn't return. The bike registration has expired, as has the Carnet. I can't re-register the bike (it would need to be in Australia to do this), and I can't revalidate the Carnet without the bike being registered in Australia. So, I'm in a Catch-22 situation.

I would like to either 1) sell the bike in Uganda, or 2) airfreight the bike back to Australia. Can anyone advise me on what my options are? I am concerned that I will have issues transporting the bike out of the country without the paperwork being current. Alternatively, what are the options for someone buying a currently unregistered bike from overseas in Uganda?

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts. It's a really frustrating position to be in, as I was especially careful regarding paperwork while I was travelling.... unfortunately a combination of COVID travel restrictions and Australian bureaucracy around vehicle registration has put me in a difficult position.

Last edited:

dpmza

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
In South Africa we can register a bike without the bike being present, we pay the fees but we do not get a license disk allow it on a South African road. Do you not have this option too and allow for the carnet one year extension.

IMHO Carnets can only be extended for one year

SydneyAds

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi,
No, in Australia the bike has to be in Australia to be registered.

Hmm, do you think I could register the bike in South Africa then?

dpmza

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Hi,
No, in Australia the bike has to be in Australia to be registered.

Hmm, do you think I could register the bike in South Africa then?

We license our bikes every year and only do physical checks on transfer of ownership but a bike that has never been here before would require an import permit, letter of authority from the National Regulator for Compulsory Standards and pay the Duty/VAT

I think if you cannot resolve with a carnet extension, you pay a deposit with the Ugandan Customs as a temporary import and claim the deposit on exit

Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
By coincidence I met an Aussie last night with a bike registered in Aus. He had similar issues with covid etc. He left the bike in Cape Town and managed to get back home to Aus before the first lockdown. His carnet had been extended the maximum time (I think it is 2 or 3 times). He is Melbourne based and wherever the carnet is issued in Melbourne they spoke to the SA people (AA of SA) and managed to get a carnet extension. There was understanding for the covid situation and the carnet was extended again.

Long story try to get your carnet extended via the officials in Aus.