Bike Registration and Carnet Expired in Uganda - Sell or Freight back home options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SydneyAds

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hello All,

I have a bike that was registered in Australia and is currently in Uganda. It entered Uganda under a Carnet. I myself have dual Australian and UK citizenship, if that might help.

I left the bike to travel back to Australia briefly, and expected to return to pick up the bike, but due to COVID, I couldn't return. The bike registration has expired, as has the Carnet. I can't re-register the bike (it would need to be in Australia to do this), and I can't revalidate the Carnet without the bike being registered in Australia. So, I'm in a Catch-22 situation.

I would like to either 1) sell the bike in Uganda, or 2) airfreight the bike back to Australia. Can anyone advise me on what my options are? I am concerned that I will have issues transporting the bike out of the country without the paperwork being current. Alternatively, what are the options for someone buying a currently unregistered bike from overseas in Uganda?

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts. It's a really frustrating position to be in, as I was especially careful regarding paperwork while I was travelling.... unfortunately a combination of COVID travel restrictions and Australian bureaucracy around vehicle registration has put me in a difficult position.

Last edited: