Bike spray painting - tips and advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Freak had a great thread up, but pulled the content leaving spray painting beginners like me with a serious learning curve.

Would be great if we can use this thread to share technical info, tips, practical know-how, product info, ask questions, etc. Think it will aid all guys busy with projects, or those contemplating starting one.

I have already made two basic schoolboy errors -

1. It did not sink in that primer is not the same as paint - ergo if it gets moisture on (e.g. dew from hanging under a carport) it will rust through to the metal again. Solution: sand back to metal again and this time do the primer and the paint in one go.

2. Having applied spot putty to some imperfections I made two basic errors - I did not roughen up the metal enough (probably need to sand with 80 grit) and then I went and wet-sanded the stuff for that nice smooth finish prior to applying primer. Solution: Go back to metal in those areas and re-do.

On the plus side, I used the following product to etch prime my rims and it came out great. The rims was sanded down to 800 grid and I can see no sanding scratches. Will still apply filler primer on top of that though.   

Must just keep them dry until I can paint them

Attachments

• Alu etch primer.jpg
    Alu etch primer.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 601
  • Superfill primer.jpg
    Superfill primer.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 609