Birth of the Twins - Making a 990 rideable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
It is 2009 and whole lot of things changed for our family this year.  New work, new city, new schools for the kids, new friends, etc.  One of the good things about this move is that my brother lives around the corner now.  And a significant change for him is that he wanted to have a 990 as well.  We had to do some thinking and make some plans, but it all came together and this story is about the birth of the twins.  I am fairly set in my ways now, starting to feel like an old man.  Over the last couple of years I have formed a perception of what needs to be done to a 990 to make it work well for me, and my beast was perfect for the job.  And previously, when the time came, I would take off all the accessories and sell the bike as it came, and transfer everything to the new bike.  This time however, there was a complication.  My brother wanted my bike, and he felt that I should have the new one, but all the bits and pieces had to stay.  So the challenge was to clone my machine in a short period of time. 

So the strategy has been agreed.  Bees will have my bike, and we will make another one identical to that for me.  My bike was still brand new – a year old and 13 000 km.  Looked after meticulously and in perfect condition.

The new bike was ordered after a chat with Alfie just before he left for the Dakar to go and work quite hard to drive Jurgen to the finish line so he (Jurgen) could get the finishers badge he wanted for his 50th birthday.  And Alfie ticked off another desert.  Well done to them, great effort!  In the mean time, the crate arrived with all the excitement that goes with receiving a new machine and we were ready to start the project. 

Crate.jpg

Outbox.jpg

My favourite KTM dealer now had to find a whole lot of stuff, those little items that make the bike feel like mine – hats off to Richard Manning at Alfie Cox Racing.  Richard had to take several calls to explain where the stuff is that he could not get hold of and he spent a lot of time trying to please an unreasonable customer in Bloemfontein.  Another champion friend is John Briscoe, the Gear-up man from Umhlanga Rocks.  John can find just about anything, and I have found nobody in the biking accessory business in Bloemfontein (or anywhere for that matter) who comes remotely close when it comes to knowing his product and the service they provide – going the extra 2 miles is no problem.  Highly appreciated, with these two guys I will attempt the impossible with confidence!
Anyway, out of the crate, first was to do the little things I could sort out whilst waiting for all the stuff to arrive.  I swapped the footpegs, I wanted to keep the ones I had widened because they work well for me, but not everybody likes them so Bees can decide later if he wants the same.  And the Akrapovic pipes had to go on the new bike.  I replaced the wool inside the pipes with new, and fitted the pipes to the bike.  I checked all the possibilities for pipes for Bees, and we decided on the Leo Vince units.  Build quality is great and they are less than half the price.  So we ordered a set and fitted them for Bees.  And my Zumo came off, transferred to the new bike.  Bees will get to the GPS side of things a bit later.  One bike could now be put back together and Bees could take delivery.

Bees and his wife “Geared up” and are both properly kitted out with proper ATGATT.  My advice to them was to buy the proper stuff straight away because if you don’t you will end up buying twice anyway.  Some boxes were shipped and we had some fashion parades and shipped back some boxes to Gear-up, keeping the stuff they liked.  I think the job was well done and they have proper kit to fully enjoy the bike. 
Bees:  Shoei DS helmet, Accelerator jacket, Magma gloves, Rallycross pants, Thor knee protection, SG10 Boots.  His wife got an Airoh DS helmet, Richa ldies jacket, Richa pants, Magma gloves and Fox boots.  Sweet looking couple….

Back to the bike.  The new bike still had some work and Richard and John sent some more boxes.  The following was fitted:
Gorillazilla triple clamp and Scotts Damper.  I did some searching and through John we found the triple clamp.  Locally made copy of the Scotts clamp and I was impressed with the quality.  Fitted very nicely and functional.  I stripped the steering head and greased the bearings properly while I was at it too, we all know that there is a very tight grease budget at the KTM factory…..
Clamp.jpg

Post.jpg

Clamp1.jpg

Grease.jpg

WIP.jpg

Damper.jpg

Crash bars.  Here I opted for the SW Motech set.  Thanks to Adventurer for all the info.  They fitted very well and look like they will do the trick.  The only thing I would change is the bolts.  All normal hex head bolts, which I would change to socket head cap screws to mach the rest of the bike and for easier removal on the road if I ever had to.

Crashbar.jpg

Pannier fames:  Had to go for the KTM ones – well made, although expensive.  But the H&B ones are same price and I did not like the SW Motech ones.
Then changed the gearing to 16 / 45.  Did the two sprockets and installed the frame protectors on the sides of the frame at the footpegs.  These are good to prevent rubbing the paint off the frame with your boots.  Applied some Loctite to  the chain guide bolts too (TSB on some bikes, but good to check anyway).  Also fitted a splash guard to the back of the front mudguard.  Prevents mud in the radiator and engine and everywhere.  It works!

Frame.jpg

Gearing.jpg

Replaced the Scorpion tyres with TKC 80’s and 4mm Michelin tubes – I have come to like the TKC’s, they just seem to work well for me.  Better on the dirt and just take it a bit easier on wet tar.  The bike does not have ABS, so I can control when I want to brake and when not.  The tubes are most important, just makes your standard of living much better on the road – no pinch flats and no abuse from BMW riders.
The job was completed with the protection film on the tanks and side covers. It works well and is not expensive.  Also the stickers on the forks, prevents rubbing the coating from tie-downs and brake hoses.  I keep the brake hoses together with a cable tie strung through a piece of plastic tubing as well. 
The fork bleeders went in whilst I dialled in the clickers on the suspension, Sport settings plus a little bit for a fat rider.

Fork.jpg

The only things I did not get were the upgraded hand guards, they are on back order and will go on as soon as they arrive.  And the bash plate – hopefully Plottie and his connections can get something done, otherwise I would have to go the Touratech route, which is a bit of a challenge….  The Touratech challenge also goes for the side stand extension, need to think about an easier way.  Currently my thinking is to weld a large washer to the bottom of the stand – feels a little bit like a KLR mod….
The twins have been born – identical to the unsuspecting eye, although different in personality and heart.  I look forward to lots of great trips and I am happy that my younger brother is also part of the gang now.  And the new bike – what a privilege!  Thanks again to all who had a hand in this, Lesotho here we come! And to all the LC8 riders I have crossed paths with over the years, few of these idea are my own - thanks for sharing!

Twins.jpg

Lets ride.