BMW G650X X-Country !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
OK, I've just dropped my Dakar off for some well needed TLC at AA, and took a X-Country for the day. Holy frikkin crap. Laughter in my helmet soon turned to tears as I realised I can't buy one. The fuel tank is just too small and the seat too rock hard to make it any good on long trips, so it won't make a good replacement for my Dakar. But those are the only drawbacks. Dammit do I want one. The geometry is just genius. It's too much fun. The wide handlebars put you squarely in control while the short wheelbase forces you over the bars with your legs far back enough to be fun but not so far to make you feel like you're not in control. The exhaust note is just awesome - not too loud, but a massive improvement over the Dakar. Top speed is not that great - 150km/h or so - but acceleration makes up for it ample. Cornering is a blast. In short - the X-Country is the perfect balance between being in control, and being on the edge - it sits bang in the middle, with a huge grin factor. I can't vouch for it's off-road abilities, but on the road it's tons of fun, although having said that I can't wait to try the X-Moto. Essentially though, I don't see why BMW don't manage to sell more of these - if you're not planning on conquering the continent (or the country), I would take this over a F650GS anyday.