BMW & KTM Gear - ripoff? or worth it? - share your experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
No, not that shit again!  :mwink:

Something I've been thinking about recently - we often banter back and forth about the BMW and KTM gear (yes, I know some other brands also have branded gear, but these are the 2 that really push it) - are you a poser, is it worth it, is it too expensive, is it any good, etc - sometimes we're paying to have the logo on, but sometimes it's a really good piece of kit. sometimes, even though it's good, it's more expensive than other equivalent brands' products, but sometimes the price is reasonable

I thought it would be interesting to post here a. BMW or KTM gear you have, why you bought it, what similar options of other brands cost and if you thought it was worth the money and how it has performed or b. BMW or KTM gear you're thinking of or have checked out, and whether you think it compares favourably, etc

let's hear your stories

I'll start:

Exhibit A: BMW GS Enduro Boots (owned)
Price: R3 000 at time of purchase (+- 10 months ago)

The reason I bought these boots is because I made it part of the package of the bike I was buying at the time - HOWEVER, let me say this: at the time I shopped around, and there was very little that had the same construction and features for the same price.

It has all the features you'd expect from a premium MX-style boot - inner neoprene sock, independent calf unit, great buckle system and ankle hinge, and it's a good looking boot as well.

Looking around, I'd say similar boots in terms of quality and features would maybe be the Gaerne SG-10 or the Sidi Crossfire - I'm not sure of the exact prices of these, but mxalliance.co.za are selling them for R5350 and R6500 (mxalliance is a little more expensive than anywhere else by a couple hundred ront). Sure - those are 2 great boots and considered premium, so the BMW boot is probably not as good but for the price it comes close. Very close. It's definitely a couple steps up from the Alpinestars Tech 3 - and that's almost the same price.

Good or bad? Good
Expensive or reasonable? VERY reasonable
Buy it again? Absolutely

Exhibit B: BMW bum bag
Price: R250 at time of purchase (2 years ago roughly)

Piece of shit. Zips constantly get stuck, and the strap is easy to adjust but also easily adjusts itself. Price is affordable - but for the money rather buy something like a Thor bum bag which would probably be a little tougher, but may cost you a few more pennys. on the up side, it has space, is comfortable when it doesn't get loose and has a little rain cover.

Good or bad? 50/50 - self loosening straps and shitty zips make it a pain in the ass
Expensive or reasonable? reasonable
Buy it again? Never

so, what do you have?

Latest posts