BMWMotorrad AG- VE HAF RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
So my saga started last week when I rode Peaches' 1200GS, the front discs are warped, shudder when braking.
So I contact the dealer where the bike was bought, I mention the MILEAGE and the problem, I'm asked to bring the bike in to sort out this problem, which I do today, as usual the staff take the bike, sort me out with a loaner and off I go. ( The dealer shall not be mentioned, not their fault) On returning later this afternoon I am told - Sorry, the discs are warped because of WEAR AND TEAR!!! Now I ask withy tears in my eyes, how can discs be worn out at 25000km when the original pads are only worn half way??????????????????
I tackle this issue with the powers that be at head office, names not mentioned, not his fault either but I get the RULES explained. This is the RULE determined by BMW Motorrad Germany.
Because the bike is over 10 000km the discs are considered to be out of warranty, and if BMW SA replaces the discs under warranty, Germany will refuse to refund the costs, and BMW SA will sit whith the costs. This I understand, I DON'T AGREE WITH IT, BUT I UNDERSTAND.
What burns my backside is the fact that these discs are a common problem in SA, I know quite a few people that have had issues with their discs, IMO Germany has produced an inadequate disc, have realized their stuff up, and to avoid a flood of warranty claims, have determined that anything after 10 000km, the discs are considered to be 'worn out' and should they warp it is up to the owner to pay out over R4K for 2 more discs, plus the manditory new pads, around R600-00 a pair,plus labour to fit.
IMO these discs are inadequate because why at this type of mileage are they warped when my 1150GSA has double the mileage, has been everywhere and then some that the 1200 has been, and my discs are still in good condition, they have actually outlasted 2 sets of brake pads, amazing!
Now I also realise these discs can get warped if they are splashed with, or ridden through water whilst hot, but the fact is this bike has not been subject to this type of punishment, it has been through a few rainstorms, but if this would cause them to warp then there is a HUGE problem.
I have been about as far up the BMW Motorrad SA chain as is reasonably possible, does anyone have a connection in Germany BMW Motorrad that I can take up this issue with?
I reiterate, BMW SA is merely following the guidelines set down by Germany, but those are the guys I want to take to task!
Who else has had issues with 1200 GS discs?

Latest posts