Body armour - long vs short (Acerbis Koerta vs Knox Warrior BC9)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
at some point in the near future I am going to have to replace my body armour - cheap DMD setup that's starting to look a little less than new  :deal:

the 2 options that appeal to me the most are the Acerbis Koerta, and the Knox Warrior BC9

The Koerta is hailed by many Wild Dogs as the ultimate body armour suit - it certainly looks beefy and appears to cover every area of the upper body imaginable.

Knox are know for making good stuff, the Warrior however looks to be something between a traditional MX roost guard and a full body armour setup. It is also made to fit perfectly with a Leatt neck brace - whereas with the Koerta, should you want to wear the neck brace, you need to mod the armour slightly. No big deal really. The Warrior also doesn't have elbow guards, but for the price difference (R2 300 for the Koerta vs R1 800 for the Knox) you could buy the elbow guards and wear them seperately. Also no big deal.

What really appeals to me about the Warrior however, is its low profile design. It seems to offer a decent amount of protection, but has no mesh or materials between the bits of armour, making it less like a jacket and more like (as I've said above) a roost guard. It also straps around the chest rather than the stomach - which the Koerta with it's "built in kidney belt" does. I generally find this uncomfortable, but only because I have a boep  :imaposer:

The other question of course, is whether the shorter back protector offer the same amount of protection as the Koerta's full body armadillo? And which method of building armour is more effective - the Acerbis plastic plates or the Knox cell style padding?

So:
- long vs short back protector?
- full armour vs extra elbow guards
- mesh jacket vs roost guard style throwover
- mod for leatt vs designed for leatt
- hard shell plastic vs cell padding
- strap around stomach vs strap around chest

What do you guys think - which option would you go for? and what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Attachments

• koerta.jpg
    koerta.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 09warrior_brace_KNOX_LG.jpg
    09warrior_brace_KNOX_LG.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 284