Building a 46ft performance/cruising Catamaran

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
After many years of planning and saving the time has come. No turning back now, contract is signed and the building process has commenced!

The Catamaran we chose for our retirement home and round the world cruise is a Seaquest 46

Anybody who knows anything about boats knows that there is no perfect boat, there are always compromises. We like sailing, so a floating apartment aka Condomaran was out of the question. Enter the Seaquest 46, a new brand performance/cruiser Catamaran, of which we are taking Hull #1. To say we are exited is an understatement.

Highlights of the design is:

Lightweight construction using carbon fibre in key areas. coming in at 8.2 tons with a payload around 2.5 tons before you start compromising on performance.
Curved daggerboards to improve sailing performance.
Electric motors from Oceanvolt. props regenerate electricity while sailing or feather them when not needed. Lithium battery by Oceanvolt
Lots of solar power.
Carbon sails, she is going to fly!
3 cabin arrangement with one hull for us.

I will try to update this thread regularly with photos of the building process which should be complete by Middle April next year.

<a href="https://seaquestcatamarans.com">https://seaquestcatamarans.com/a>

Oeceanvolt

https://oceanvolt.com/solutions/private/multihull/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 16.39.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 16.39.57.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 542

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Seaquest 46

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 16.47.05.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 16.47.05.png
    863.3 KB · Views: 545

Wayne

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Well that is properly nice.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dieterf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Brilliant and congratulations and sub

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Very impressive! Would really not mind doing something like that one day!

Matewis

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
SUB, a friend's got a Maverick 440 and I think it's well laid out. Good luck on the build!

KiLRoy

Perfekte Balans tussen krag en soepelheid..
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Awesome, plse update regularly. Sub…

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
Speechless................. :eek7:

8.2 Tons, payload 2.5t    :eek7: :eek7:

Congrats and all the best with the build.  Following with interest.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Oubones

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Nice!
I am also interested to see how this project goes.
May your build go without problems and you see only experience good weather and fair sailing!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Wow, congrats, looks amazing!! Sub for the build and subsequent sail-reports!

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Sub

Please post some info on your decision making process.
Why a performance over a cruising?
Who builds what?
And maybe budgets and stuff if you don't mind.

Kamanya

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Congrats!

If I may ask, how did you navigate around the challenge of convincing yourselves to the be guinea pig and take hull #1?

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Sláinte Mhaith said:
Sub

Please post some info on your decision making process.
Why a performance over a cruising?
Who builds what?
And maybe budgets and stuff if you don't mind.

Boats that perform well can cover a lot of ground (water, hahaha) in the right conditions. Huge difference averaging 10 kts vs 6 kts over 24 hours. But more importantly for us is the ability to sail in light wind conditions where a heavy cruising cat will need to start its diesels to get anywhere.

As I said before, we like sailing, motoring not so much. The old story of having to choose between Price, Comfort and Speed. But, you can only have 2 of them at the same time. I believe that this boat is a good compromise of all three. We don’t want to carry unnecessary items with us, it is liberating getting rid of all the fluff.

The whole boat is built by Eaton Marine. The molds are almost complete for the hull. They source the motors, sails, mast etc from different suppliers.

As far as budget is concerned, I think that around $2000 to $3000/month is more than enough. We plan to anchor most of the time and stay out of marinas where ever possible. Be as self sufficient as we can. Water maker will do about 140 liters an hour, solar will supply energy. Just have to catch fish and collect coconuts, haha. Being a new build and having sorted out all the inevitable snags after handover, maintenance should be fairly low the first couple of years.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Kamanya said:
Congrats!

If I may ask, how did you navigate around the challenge of convincing yourselves to the be guinea pig and take hull #1?

Mmm, good question.

I firmly believe one should never fly the “A” model of anything, just hoping this does not apply to boats  ;D

On a more serious note. There are currently long waiting lists for the type of Catamaran we were looking for. Balance Catamarans in SA, their 482 and 442 models will only be available in about 3 years. Seawind in Vietnam with their 1370 has available build slots in 2025. Outremer in France, same problem.

We want the boat as soon as possible to get used to it and sort all issues out before starting our cruising life. Mike Eaton is a very experienced boat builder ( Originally from Durban), we have established an excellent relationship already. The build is semi custom, not just an off the shelf production boat. Another big advantage is that the boat is being built 15 min from where we live, very convenient for us.

Shaun Carkeek is the Naval Architect. Carkeek Design has been involved in the Americas Cup, Volvo Ocean Race and Grand Prix yachting. I think he knows a thing or two about designing a boat.

I am sure there will be many issues or small problems along the way, that is to be expected.

We have a good feeling about the people and the boat.

KiLRoy

Perfekte Balans tussen krag en soepelheid..
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I can put you in touch with the main shareholder and yacht owner of Maverick Cats in SA.  They have a more personalise approach than other makers.  also in the 46feet space.