Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
[member=880]Ratel[/member]

I was referring to the purchase cost.  45 foot cats new price sail away cost in the region of R10m I think.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Sláinte Mhaith said:
[member=880]Ratel[/member]

I was referring to the purchase cost.  45 foot cats new price sail away cost in the region of R10m I think.

Price seems right  :thumleft:

Base price for the boat is $675K

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
KiLRoy said:
I can put you in touch with the main shareholder and yacht owner of Maverick Cats in SA.  They have a more personalise approach than other makers.  also in the 46feet space.

Thanks, we already signed the contract  for the SQ46  :thumleft:

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The plug for the cockpit and saloon

Attachments

• C8418A11-0251-478A-B55E-1CEFB3B93DE0.jpeg
    C8418A11-0251-478A-B55E-1CEFB3B93DE0.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 478

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The mold for the hull progressing nicely. Once the female mold is complete the actual hull is vacuum infused inside of it. A big plus is that a Vinylester/epoxy mix resin is used for the infusion. Not Polyester as on cheaper builds.

Ps- how do I rotate the pics correctly?

Attachments

• 0277F255-1345-455A-AB14-BFAB2CB54BCD.jpeg
    0277F255-1345-455A-AB14-BFAB2CB54BCD.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 483
  • 917A7386-5A7A-41ED-8B1A-59626F934D74.jpeg
    917A7386-5A7A-41ED-8B1A-59626F934D74.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 476

african dust

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
congratulations... out of interest did you look at the Outremer range ?
they also seem to tick the box in terms of great sailing performance and good live aboard blue water credentials ?

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
african dust said:
congratulations... out of interest did you look at the Outremer range ?
they also seem to tick the box in terms of great sailing performance and good live aboard blue water credentials ?

I’ve been looking at Outremer for a long time. Would love the new Outremer 55 but that is way out of my budget. The Outremer 45 sort of compares but is still a lot more expensive, and not as spacious and well laid out as the SQ46, in my opinion.

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Ratel said:
The mold for the hull progressing nicely. Once the female mold is complete the actual hull is vacuum infused inside of it. A big plus is that a Vinylester/epoxy mix resin is used for the infusion. Not Polyester as on cheaper builds.

Ps- how do I rotate the pics correctly?

open your pic in Paint or similar - rotate and re-save - I also add a 1-pixel dot so the pic is changed as well, then save or save-as...... Can resize the same way.

silberfuchs

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Hello Ratel,

Congratulations and best of luck to your project!
I am rather a monohull type and performance means different things to different people.
I think every boatie/yachtie dreams of the opportunity to have a boat built to his own ideas and purposes. This is a phantastic opportunity, I do hope everything turns out the way you want to have it.

Let me just humbly add one idea which possibly is valid for any number of hulls and the designers of your boat probably have had long before me:

-No dischargee through-hulls below the waterline! (On a cat you can put them inside between the hulls for beter looks).
  - Only ONE intake through-hull  below the waterline at a spot which later will be accessible from the inside under all conditions, with the best sea-cock that is available.
    from there the raw water is fed into a "water box", from where it is distributed to whereever you might need it. (Cooling circuit, heads, pantry, pump
    for  flushing deck or anchor rode, etc. ...

I follow your fred with lots of curiosity and wish you lots of happiness with your boat.

Cheers

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
silberfuchs said:
Hello Ratel,

Congratulations and best of luck to your project!
I am rather a monohull type and performance means different things to different people.
I think every boatie/yachtie dreams of the opportunity to have a boat built to his own ideas and purposes. This is a phantastic opportunity, I do hope everything turns out the way you want to have it.

Let me just humbly add one idea which possibly is valid for any number of hulls and the designers of your boat probably have had long before me:

-No dischargee through-hulls below the waterline! (On a cat you can put them inside between the hulls for beter looks).
  - Only ONE intake through-hull  below the waterline at a spot which later will be accessible from the inside under all conditions, with the best sea-cock that is available.
    from there the raw water is fed into a "water box", from where it is distributed to whereever you might need it. (Cooling circuit, heads, pantry, pump
    for  flushing deck or anchor rode, etc. ...

I follow your fred with lots of curiosity and wish you lots of happiness with your boat.

Cheers

I agree. The less holes in the boat, the better. As it stands now there will be one intake through hull in each hull. This is to supply water to the water maker and air conditioning. Nothing else needed. I am not putting marine heads in, but rather what they call Desiccating/composting heads. This is to save weight and maintenance.

https://www.c-head.com/

MY preference is for Marelon through hull fittings.

https://www.forespar.com/marelon-marine-boat-plumbing.shtml

african dust

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
I’ve been looking at Outremer for a long time. Would love the new Outremer 55 but that is way out of my budget. The Outremer 45 sort of compares but is still a lot more expensive, and not as spacious and well laid out as the SQ46, in my opinion.
[/quote]

the outremer is a great sailing boat.. but the one I sailed , whilst fast was not robust enough for my liking. was also useless as a charter boat. one boat cannot be everything.

would be interesting to see how the composting toilets perform in the tropics.. I suspect they will smell.. but have zero experience with them.

roxenz

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Wow Ratel! This is exciting! Looking forward a lot to following this "journey". Love boats and planes - but my flat wallet keeps me at drooling distance...  :imaposer:

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
african dust said:

the outremer is a great sailing boat.. but the one I sailed , whilst fast was not robust enough for my liking. was also useless as a charter boat. one boat cannot be everything.

would be interesting to see how the composting toilets perform in the tropics.. I suspect they will smell.. but have zero experience with them.
[/quote]

We have friends with a composting head on. Leopard Cat, they are now in Nieu Zealand. After sailing from the US East coast through the Carribbean and South Pacific there is zero smell .

It is a bit of a mind f__ck, but there are much better ways to deal with human by products than creating sewage and having to deal with black water tanks etc...

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
This is a timelapse of the mould construction. Once complete, the actual hull will be vacuum infused within the female mould.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pe0pd9bel6yf2v9/seaquest%20timelapse%20hd.mp4?dl=0

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I am not a boater, but this I would imagine is like having Yamaha custom-build me a 1000cc V4 2stroke of my specs.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Received the polars for the SQ46 today. It looks impressive! Polars give you an idea of the potential performance of the boat in perfect conditions, real life will be different of course.

Attachments

• IMG-20211009-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211009-WA0000.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 373

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Quick update.

The moulds are almost ready, some finishing and final polish necessary and our hull will be vacuum infused in about  a week or so.

Attachments

• 20211218_215605.jpg
    20211218_215605.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 20211218_220250.jpg
    20211218_220250.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 297