Building a 46ft performance/cruising Catamaran

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The main deck infusion preparation process has started. Gelcoat being applied to the inside out and upside down mold, covered by an initial light skin.

Provisioning for hatches in the mold is clearly visible.
20220422_112000.jpg

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The build is progressing nicely, all bulkheads have been vacuum infused and currently being glassed into the hull.

There has been a problem getting the correct Vinylester resin here but that has been sorted. Main deck will be done shortly and bonded to the hull. Most of the interior parts have been infused and stand ready to be glassed into the hulls.

Here is an accurate picture of what our Cat will look like.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220525-103743_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220525-103743_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0

Puls0nic

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Very nice. Once it is finished and you go sailing, please post some videos, vlogs, etc. It's a dream I will most likely not be able to fulfill.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Very nice. Once it is finished and you go sailing, please post some videos, vlogs, etc. It's a dream I will most likely not be able to fulfill.
Will definitely do that👍🏻

Our plan is to take her to the Abhu Dhabi F1 in November, right next to the race track at Yas Island.

subie

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
I watch the thread but never comment. For me it is like owning a beach buggy as my daily driver and my friend owns a Ferrari. I have no connection, cannot comprehend . Just so far out of my league that it is not real to me. The project is even scary to me. I do admire your courage and perseverance tackling a project like this Ratel. I will just watch in awe.(y)(y)

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The build is progressing nicely, It feels slow but the amount of work going into this is mind blowing.we are still looking at end of September as a launch date.

This is a look at the "spider frame" mould that will be used to make our Fram out of carbon fibre. It has to be strong and light enough to supply our coachroof.

Our Oceanvolt electric motors will be delivered in the next 2 weeks. All the way from Finland.

Theast and boom is also on the way from Denmark, built by a company called John Mast.

Attachments

• 20220624_192107.jpg
    20220624_192107.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
When do they expect to finish it?
I watch the thread but never comment. For me it is like owning a beach buggy as my daily driver and my friend owns a Ferrari. I have no connection, cannot comprehend . Just so far out of my league that it is not real to me. The project is even scary to me. I do admire your courage and perseverance tackling a project like this Ratel. I will just watch in awe.(y)(y)
End of September is launch date.

Subie, at the end of the day the sunset looks exactly the same!

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Bloody autocorrect 😂 how do I edit a post? So many mistakes above...

Fram, frame
Supply, support
Theast, the mast

Eish

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
A good idea of what the bowsprit/longeron is going to look like. Once the MDF mould is finished the piece will be made out of carbon fibre.

The bulkheads, ready to be laminated into the hull.

Attachments

• 20220624_220154.jpg
    20220624_220154.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220624_220048.jpg
    20220624_220048.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220527_120002.jpg
    20220527_120002.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
One very happy customer! This was the first look we got at our actual boat, being freed from the mould.

Attachments

• 20220603_114219.jpg
    20220603_114219.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2

JAmBer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I've been following this build with great interest. This boat ticks so many of the boxes of my "dream cat". I like that it doesn't sacrifice performance for unnecessary comfort. And that it's lightweight and has no wooden bits! A few questions:

1) with the lines all on the roof, how do you envisage the solar layout working? My experience with solar panels is that a line of shade (like from a line over it) drastically reduces the panel's output so you'd ideally want to route them between the panels. Or are you not envisaging much solar?

2) Do you have a layout of the port "owner's" cabin? All the marketing renderings that I've seen seem to show the 4cabin layout.

3) Regarding the sugar scoops... what is the reasoning behind the design of the aft end, where the hull sides maintain their height all the way to the back? Most other cats seem to taper the freeboard down, following the lines of the sugar scoops. Is this just aesthetic? or to improve safety? I'd imagine this high freeboard aft would be detrimental to performance due to increased windage.

4) How much battery capacity are you going to install?

5) Which Oceanvolt system are you installing? Their Servoprop system looks very interesting for efficient power generation, but it's quite expensive. Did you consider pod drives, like the Torqeedo system?

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I've been following this build with great interest. This boat ticks so many of the boxes of my "dream cat". I like that it doesn't sacrifice performance for unnecessary comfort. And that it's lightweight and has no wooden bits! A few questions:

1) with the lines all on the roof, how do you envisage the solar layout working? My experience with solar panels is that a line of shade (like from a line over it) drastically reduces the panel's output so you'd ideally want to route them between the panels. Or are you not envisaging much solar?

2) Do you have a layout of the port "owner's" cabin? All the marketing renderings that I've seen seem to show the 4cabin layout.

3) Regarding the sugar scoops... what is the reasoning behind the design of the aft end, where the hull sides maintain their height all the way to the back? Most other cats seem to taper the freeboard down, following the lines of the sugar scoops. Is this just aesthetic? or to improve safety? I'd imagine this high freeboard aft would be detrimental to performance due to increased windage.

4) How much battery capacity are you going to install?

5) Which Oceanvolt system are you installing? Their Servoprop system looks very interesting for efficient power generation, but it's quite expensive. Did you consider pod drives, like the Torqeedo system?
1. All lines are run from the mast directly aft underneath the boom. Lines then split close the helm stations. Solar is very important and we are looking at about 3000 Watts being fitted to the available roof area.

2. The boat is semi custom so you could change the interior to your own preference. I'll see if I can get a render of our choice. We opted for a transverse queen size bed in the front, a walk in closet slightly forward in the bow area. Coming down the stairs in the port hull will have storage, a desk and the bed to your right. To the left is our heads and shower.

3. The boat being as sleek as it is, I don't think the aft design will have any major effect. I'm trusting Carkeek design in their aesthetic and performance desicions. It does make the boat stand out though.

4. The battery bank is 43.2 kWh at 48 volts. 3600 amp hours at 12v or 900 amp hours at 48 volts.

5. We did consider other manufacturers. In our opinion Oceanvolt with their Servoprop is the best if Regen is important. And Regen is very important to us considering the performance of the SQ46. We decided to go with their full electric option, not the hybrid DC generator one.

Last edited:

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
With regards the solar. We will fit a suitable amount of MPPTs to mitigate any shading losses.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
With regards the solar. We will fit a suitable amount of MPPTs to mitigate any shading losses.

Eish. 🤔 Short but loaded sentence there. Can cause expectations which are not met.

If you have significant shade on a part of a panel the diodes can bypass that section and nothing an mppt can do to recover the loss.
The mppt will use to remainder of the output wisely or at max efficiency.

PS With masts and stuff you are going to have constant shades on panels thus make sure the supplier don't blame future panel failures on shading issues (diodes sometimes fail). They must approve the application.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Test fitting the dummy board (real foils will be made from carbon fibre).

Making sure of the correct position before cutting holes in the hull and and laminati g the cases.
IMG-20220627-WA0008.jpg

Latest posts