Bull Run 2022 - 1981 VW Passat - FOR SALE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinusvdb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Hi Guys,

I am finally busy getting a vehicle ready to attempt the WEG Magazine Bull Run this next year. The team would be myself, Werner Botes(@wernexplore) and Grant Bahlman. The plan is to kit it out like a rally car, roof rack, spot lights, lift suspension 20mm, bakkie tyres, bull bar etc...

Werner unfortunately got involved in a bike accident, and is still recovering in hospital, we are hoping he will be well enough to join us in October!

My grandfather bought this Passat in the 80's from my uncle, and it has been in the family from new. It did however blow a head gasket last year, and my gran parked it off. I did not have much hope for the motor when I started looking at it...

Before attempting anything, we drained the oil first....it came out like a dog taking a shit. Filled with new oil and water. Werner and I tried to fire her up. After about 10 min of cranking, she started and purred like a kitten. We then knew that it was worth putting effort into the motor.

I have fitted a new water pump, cam belt, tensioner, serviced the head and fitted new top end gaskets. Motor is running cool, but battles to idle well. I have been told it is due to the shitty Solex carb it has, and that I need to fit a VW Golf Keihin carb ?

If you have any donor parts that will fit nicely on this vehicle and is gathering dust... pop me a message!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 747
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 745
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 735