Buyers rights when buying privately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I would like to know what my rights are when buying a bike privately.

After many question I’ve asked about a certain 2008GSA with 8000km on the forum, after contacting the BMW agent that serviced the GSA, numerous phone calls and E-Mails to the owner (Private Sale) and after about  10PM’s to Hentie, I’ve decided that this is the bike for me.

I’ve organised the financing for the bike (Another story) got a nice deposit, and organised the insurance, making sure the owner had an RWC, so all was ready and set on Friday. I even went as far as booking a plane ticket to CT. (Luckily I haven’t paid yet) I even sent pics to family and friends on my new venture, feeling very confident that I’ve done my homework and feeling  that it’s a good deal for me as well as the owner.

1oos.jpg

Friday night at about 21:00 I’ve got a phone call from the owners wife (you can probably guess why he didn’t phone) telling me they got a better offer and the bike is in the process of being sold to somebody else. She also mentioned that they have no guarantee that I will stay commited to the buy end out. My emotional well being went from being the happiest chappi in the Eastern Cape to an assassin, but lets leave it there.  :angry5: :angryfire: :BangHead:

I haven’t signed the approved finances from the bank yet, but isn’t a verbal agreement with the owner of the bike just as strong as a written one? Can I force them to sell the GSA to me? Don’t they have a legal responsibility toward selling the bike to me after all the effort I did to buy the bike?

Like to hear some comments.

Latest posts