Buying a used 990....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So...I have come to the conclusion that I NEED to have a KTM in my life, at least once.

The one I am considering is a 2009 Adventure with 45k on the clock. Seems to be very well taken care off with no obvious signs of abuse. Have had a look at service records up to 30k k’s and there were multiple small issues (clutch lever seals, ABS switch, brake light switch...) that were resolved by a reputable service centre, only missing the 45k service which is due and the minor service at 37.5k (was done, just don’t have the itemised record).

So, first question: is it unwise to buy a 990 at this mileage? Am I asking for trouble? Having never owned one it is difficult to ignore the general idea that they are considered unreliable etc....
Any specific things I should be wary of when riding/inspecting this particular model that should make me walk away?

Secondly, if I buy at this milage what sort of preventative maintenance is advised? Have found alot of information regarding water pump failures that can end in disaster if you dont pick it up timeously, clutch slave cylinder issues, and not much else🤔except good quality synthetic oil at regular intervals. I am considering rather spending some cash to sort possible issues early and avoid any heartache later.

When considering the KTM as a bike I am fully aware that the maintenance requirements are likely to be higher that other big dual sport bikes, and that it will look after me if I look after it. I just need to form a rough idea of what to expect to not sour the experience of owning the bike I have been drooling over for many many years👍