Cam Wear. Any examples in SA?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Aiiiiiish that's a bit of a nightmare man. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Partyranger

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I would suggest anyone with a 790 check their cams and shims before the required 30 000km required Check.

My shim fell out with zero noise or idling issues what so ever. No indication regarding missing shims or cam wear.

Amsterdam

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
Not ktm warranty, that ran out on 2 Sept ‘21. Aftermarket warranty company also in trouble or something so currently I am sitting with a 6 month old piece of massive debt.
That is a big problem. Better buy a new engine and start afresh. Here are two links that may help.
Use the search term 088710V in this parts search engine.
At less than USD 4000 in the US the price is not bad. But you would still have to ship it here. Admittedly I don't know anyone who has managed to buy a new KTM engine and also don't know if you can't buy this from KTM locally but with your problem it is definitely worth spending some time (anreven a phone call to that crowd in Colorado) to properly look into this. Good luck.

stormjp

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Unfortunately I fell victim to this with my Duke 890R. Exactly 2000km on the clock when it went boom and little over a year old. KTM was amazing and sorted everything under warranty.

Partyranger

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Ok so just a quick update,
It was a month of back and forth with the dealer seemingly not too interested in engaging KTM SA or KTM SA not interested in honouring the warranty.
Given the bike was almost exactly 1 year out of the factory period.

However after mentioning legal advisor and CPA, incredibly the claim was approved within 24 hours.
KTM has agreed to supply all the parts and I should just cover labour.
I still can’t help but feel like someone might be taking me for a ride with all the labor however it’s far cry from the initial R130k quote they tried to pin on me.

So any case, it seems most parts are sourced and should be landing in country around early next week.
Hopefully I will be on a new motor then by end of Nov.

Gee eS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
One of my 2020 790’s camshafts (Ithink it was the exhaust)was replaced under warranty at the 30000km service due to excessive wear. They just happened to have a camshaft in stock?

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Same thing (excessive cam wear) happened to a friend of mine's 790, luckily no major damage yet, but the bike had difficulty starting in recent times, so he took it in. Think odo is on 13k or there about, bike is out of warranty, so not sure how it's handled, almost too afraid to ask him.

Partyranger

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Ok so just a quick update,
It was a month of back and forth with the dealer seemingly not too interested in engaging KTM SA or KTM SA not interested in honouring the warranty.
Given the bike was almost exactly 1 year out of the factory period.

However after mentioning legal advisor and CPA, incredibly the claim was approved within 24 hours.
KTM has agreed to supply all the parts and I should just cover labour.
I still can’t help but feel like someone might be taking me for a ride with all the labor however it’s far cry from the initial R130k quote they tried to pin on me.

So any case, it seems most parts are sourced and should be landing in country around early next week.
Hopefully I will be on a new motor then by end of Nov.

Ok so update from my side.
Apparently the motor rebuild is done and ready for me.
I still need to go fetch the bike but the dealer is charging me R16k for labor, oil etc.

I’ll update again after collecting the bike.

Thumper Dumper

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Ok so update from my side.
Apparently the motor rebuild is done and ready for me.
I still need to go fetch the bike but the dealer is charging me R16k for labor, oil etc.

I’ll update again after collecting the bike.
R16k sucks but it's better than the alterative. Hope you back out there riding soon.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Jeez. 16k is nothing when just a valve check service is like 10k.