Captain SOLO to Magoebaskloof.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Uncle Bob

Well, Iâ??ve never been one to say much, and this ride report will not be much different, Iâ??ll let the photoâ??s speak the most.

Ever since I got back from my trip up to Kilimanjaro, I have an insatiable urge to ride more, more hard routes â?? more rural and remote, in fact the further I can get away from the city the better for me.

So with this in mind I decided to plan a trip up to our farm in magoebaskloof, my mission â?? to ride there and back on dirt roads, avoiding tar as much as possible, the perfect tool for this job I reckoned, would be the HP2, the only problem being itâ??s VERY short range on a tank, especially if I let my inner child ride it!

No problem, I purchased one of those 10L plastic Jerry can jobbies and ratcheted it onto the HPâ??s carrier rack.

Around 9 oâ??clock on friday morning I hit the road and was very quickly reminded that the HP is NOT a road going bike â?? the wind rips at the peak on my helmet and it must look to passers by like I am doing some SERIAAAS head banging, the wind pushes my shoulders back and I hadnâ??t even reached Centurion before I though my arms might me ripped out of their sockets.

PICT1123.jpg

HP Packed and ready to go.

Luckily I made it to the offramp in one piece â?? all be it my arms hanging on by a very stretched out ligament.

Just there the fun started and my inner child took over â?? grinning manically as he twists the throttle far open and feels the back wheel break loose â?? â??Yeah babyâ? I say to myself â?? this is what itâ??s about.

PICT1124.jpg

PICT1125.jpg

Really is green out there

The countryside has really benefited from all the recent rains, itâ??s beautifully green and the dust is minimal.

PICT1127.jpg

PICT1128.jpg

PICT1130.jpg

PICT1131.jpg

Some skidmarks

PICT1135.jpg

Nearing Zion City Moria I realized that I wasnâ??t going to be able to sqeeze in a ride through the downs, I had it programmed into my route but my ETA had moved to about 21:00 and I wasnâ??t all to keen for the â??plaas paaieâ? at night.
So I changed the GPS to just show a straight line to the farm, and started making my own route â?? oh boy was that fun, I spent about an hour riding around on cattle tracks and doing U turns, dodging thorn trees and riding through little villagers, much to the surprise of the little kids, and I got that feeling of being back in rural Africa again â?? man I missed that.

PICT1136.jpg

PICT1138.jpg

PICT1139.jpg

Cattle track riding

PICT1140.jpg

PICT1141.jpg

Road is completely washed away!

I finally found a road I was sure I knew, itâ??s wide-ish with some awesome twists and turn in it.

Now here I must quickly write a side note.
April this year Rebel and I rode up to the farm, we had a long discussion about why we wanted HPâ??s, his main reason being he wants a bike to wheelie, my main reason being that I want a bike to powerslide.

So going through these turns I try and remember what he told me 2 weeks ago â?? right â??6th gear, drop it down 2 gears, put ALL your weight forward, hips above the handle bars and twist that throttle OPENâ? â?? OK Iâ??m with you so far â?? â?? then lightly step on the inside to get the bike to start sliding, then move your weight to the outside and control itâ? â?? YeeHaa, here we go, Iâ??m starting to feel like freakonaleash must feel when going through corners, and the HP just laps it up â?? hell it even begs for more! â?? into the next corner, my inner child screaming with pleasure as the rear tyre slides out and you can almost hear it saying â??ha, traction, who needs traction?â?

PICT1142.jpg

Notice the missing jerry can?
The straps snapped and after being lost for about an hour I wasn't going to try and find it - so
tie down straps - R 75,00
10L Jerry can - R 185,00
10L Petrol - R 72,00

Lesson learnt - I'm not sure, I'll get back to you.

I ride around the Magoebaskloof area for a bit and do sections of the Magoebaskloof Classic mountainbike race, that they would ride on Saturday, boy oh boy is the mud in that area ever slippery!

PICT1144.jpg

Mudmonster â?? lurking

PICT1146.jpg

PICT1147.jpg

Stream at the bottom of the kloof.

PICT1148.jpg

The start of the Dirt, Magoebaskloof pass known as â??woodbush driveâ??

Some pictures in the pass

PICT1150.jpg

PICT1152.jpg

PICT1156.jpg

PICT1158.jpg

PICT1162.jpg

comp.jpg

PICT1166.jpg

PICT1167.jpg

More to come!

oh but now im soooo jealous.
looked like serious fun !
next time, ill ride behind you and keep an eye on that juice can.

my lesson learnt with the extra fuel.
I put a STIHL 5l can in my ruck sack

Is this the first HP2 ride report? Seriously cool! 8)

Nice scenery! ;D

Wow!

The last couple of photos looks like it could have been shot in the Knysna forest!

Beautiful area - thanks for posting!

Very nice pics and yes the recent rains have been more than welcome.

Next time you are heading to Magoebas and you're looking for a riding buddy, give me a shout (I live in Polokwane). :)

Eish, dit lyk great. Ek het n Desember wat voorle ::)

Very nice Bob :thumright:

I see you are enjoying the HP. Thanks for the posting.

And Why did you not invite Me? Nice one Uncle Bob. Love that part of the world from the forests to the sandy and rocky sections of Lebowa. Once road a three day international enduro laid out in the area. The only place we could hang on the cable was a time trial on a small airfield before you go up to Magoebaskloof. Cooooool. Nice.

Lekker man!

I doubt I'll go ride a HP2 solo. The power available must make "moderation when solo" almost impossible to achieve. :eek:  :razz:

Hel, but you know how to take good pictures, makes me want to get on  the bike and ride ride ride. Lucky for me I get to start the ride down to Hogsback tomorrow morning early.

Those are some awesome pics, when are the others coming?

Rebel said:
oh but now im soooo jealous.
looked like serious fun !
next time, ill ride behind you and keep an eye on that juice can.

my lesson learnt with the extra fuel.
I put a STIHL 5l can in my ruck sack

Sal jou leer om eerder troue toe te gaan - volgende keer.

Panne said:
Very nice pics and yes the recent rains have been more than welcome.

Next time you are heading to Magoebas and you're looking for a riding buddy, give me a shout (I live in Polokwane). :)

Will be spending some time there over December - PM your phone number maybe we can work out a route.

JourneyMan said:
Lekker man!

I doubt I'll go ride a HP2 solo. The power available must make "moderation when solo" almost impossible to achieve. :eek:   :razz:

HE HE HE - JA it's pretty hard to not try and destroy the back tyre completely!

Uncle said:
Hel, but you know how to take good pictures, makes me want to get on  the bike and ride ride ride. Lucky for me I get to start the ride down to Hogsback tomorrow morning early.

Those are some awesome pics, when are the others coming?

AAH Patience young one, was at whiskey Live last night so a bit slow, will try and post tonight.

Oh and thanks to all for the compliments thus far.

now thats a ride i couldent agree more , the more remote the better  awesome stuff there  wish i was there

I spent most of Saturday relaxing with friends on the farm, rode around a bit on the farm. â?? and dare I say that I went quad biking at the Adventure centre.
I spent the evening in front of the fire(it wasnâ??t cold it just lends great atmosphere),
Drinking plenty Whiskey and solving the worlds problems, at some point the conversation turned to dwarf bowling(a sport I think could really catch on) and where you would find co-operative dwarfs â?? after that it all becomes a bit blurry and I retired to bed and finally managed to hit it the third time it came around!

PICT1169.jpg

PICT1171.jpg

The river on the farm.

PICT1173.jpg

PICT1176.jpg

Well I think itâ??s quite an attractive machine.

Sunday morning came around all too early, and although my friends still went tubing on the river, I had 550km of beautiful roads ahead of me, so after a good breakfast(just a little something to settle my stomach) I head out, taking some of the roads/paths I did on Friday but mainly looking for new roads to ride.

PICT1182.jpg

Bike ready to go.

PICT1183.jpg

Dressed and ready.

PICT1184.jpg

Bushveld imitating the Karoo?

PICT1186.jpg

PICT1187.jpg

PICT1188.jpg

The ride was pretty uneventful and except for a stretch of dirt that was ABSOLUTELY straight but offered ZERO traction( I couldnâ??t get the HP to go over 140 â?? if I lent over the handlebars the revs would shoot up as the back wheel just spins, if I lean back and get some traction on the back wheel there was a bit more grip and speed would climb to 160 before the wheel would start spinning and revs shoot up)

PICT1189.jpg

Road with NO traction

PICT1191.jpg

Wet bushveld.

As Iâ??ve said the bushveld is looking absolutely awesome as I rode back slowly taking in the sights, some of the roads I took were new â?? some not, but pulling into my driveway at around 5 in the afternoon I felt revitalized and well rested.

Thanks for reading and sharing my trip with me.

Bob.

When I get my bike sorted out I'll go and have a look around there, your photies are really giving me the itch to ride. Too bad I have to fix my bike first.

You rock! That HP2 is a lovely machine. I must take a mission that way some day. Some day soon me thinks! Sommer like Desember. Via the West Coast and  the Molopo. Hmm. Anybody coming along. Friday 21 Des to Jan 02. My wife says its cool, I r freedom!!  >:D