Cederberg-2days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Had two days and one night of riding and camping and decided to follow Wayneh's plan to do a Cederberg trip.  Did not plan alot and would take it as it come.  Depart at 7h10 from Brackenfell.

Reach the windmills generatot thingy's and got the first dirt road there

Took several roads which become tar at the end and ended up in Malmesbury with the R45.  At the police station I turned right and took the gravel road that leaded me too Riebeeck Wes.  The green 'wingerde' looked so good along the road and you could get that summer feeling.

Came across this little river with an old iron bridge.  It was getting warmer and the water looked so refreshing, but I gave the swim a pass for the moment.

Just outside Porterville I got to Dasklippas which looked quite promising.  Not having a riding plan I decided to go up the pass and to find a hang-glider or whatever you call it competition on top!!

By now it was getting seriously hot and I decided to head on along the mountains on gravel in search for the N7 to Citrusdal wher I have to get fuel and some supplies for the nights camping.  But first I stopped at Kardoesie on top of Piekenierskloof pass for lunch and something to drink.

It was FARKING warm between Citrusdal and Clainwilliam!!!  It was warmer with the visor open as when I closed it.  I couldn't believe how warm the wind was and that it's actually much better when the visor is closed.  Tok the turnoff to Algeria which were quite a bad gravel road.  The roads from here wasn't the best I've seen.  Came across another promisinf river which I passed, but the scenery was awesome.  Also went throuhg a pass on this road.

Decided to camp at Driehoek,  any place where you could take a swim would be heaven!!  Paid R80.00 for the night and Bob \'s my uncle!

https://Dinner were then served.....
[URL=https://imageshack.us][IMG]https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9426/dsc02888qy9.jpg

While lying there, almost asleep, I heard a bike with a nice loud pipe pulling in.  It was a Dakar from Gauteng, 2 up with two side paniers and a top box!!  It was quite loaded!  It was a guy and his wife from Joburg and they toured Namibie via Botswana heading for Kleinmond and then back home.  Cobus is a very pleasant guy and we made good friends. 

Played with the camera settings when it became dark and even tried to wright my girlfriend something in the darkness of the night, but it didn't work very good....

The next morning I made some breakfast and coffee and packed everything before getting to hot.  Took the gravel road to Ceres throught the very beautifull landscapes.

The road were quite bad, but it got better later on.  My next town would be Ceres and from there it was tar all the way back home.  Ride through Bain's kloof which was a first for me, very beautiful!

Total km travelled were 589 km
Fuel used was 29l  (20.7 km/l)
Avg. moving speed was 71 km/h

I enjoyed the trip very much just for the fact that you have time alone with yourself.  And it is nice to see the fingerprints of our Creator around us!!
Wish you all a very merry Christmas!!

Very, very Nice pics!
especially like the night time pic with the bike and the tent

be careful when parking your bike in the road like that ...could lead to tears :eek:

cool report.
cool pics.

Did you plan your route at all?
Did you use a map - or did you just ride in the general direction you wanted to go?

LS:  On the right hand side of the pic you can see the movement of the light I used to  light up the bike.  Nrmally I don't stop in the middle of the road, but it was so quiet on the roads and when I stop I make sure that I can see in both directions for at least 500 metres.

Cloudgazer:  I had certain waypoints, but did not plan how to get there.  I take any road that leads in the right direction and camp where ever I end for the day.

one day i'll figure out what makes the cederberg so freaking special. its spiritual i tell you. great ride there!

Nice ride and report. One of these days I ride the Cederberg roads too ;D

Lekker man!  Nice pics & I love the experiments with time exposure.  You managed the perfect exposure with the bike/tent pic.  Can do the same thing with what is called "open flash", that is firing a small handheld flash unit from various places in the shot while time exposing.  Less tricky than what you did since the flash output can be adjusted automatically by telling the flash what ASA/DIN/Gain the camera is set on. Thanks for the nice report ;)

Also my first time in the Cederberg and I enjoyed the riding more than the scenery.  The scenery is complementing the ride rather than being the reason for riding there!  Think it may look much nicer in the raining season when everything is green!

Thanks for the compliments about the pics.  Don't know much and really would like to spend some time with someone that does know how everything works.  Maybe we could do a ride with guys like LS, Jerrycan and ....................... to tell and show us more.

Thanks for the report, nice piccies.

The roads in the Cederberge can get very very bad at times. But the solitude and scenery is worth it.

Do you often do solo camping?
I've done it once, but found that I dont like my own company that much. ::) ;D I prefer one or two good mates to share a fire with.

Kaboef I would like others to join me, just couldn't find any joiners on this one :(
I like it when a group is about 3-5 riders big.  On the occational trip it is quite nice to be solo and go where the roads take you!

Next year in April or in that time period I want to do a trip to Namibie and would like to be accompanied by three or so guys.......?

Lucky bliksem! ;D

Nam is DS biking paradise.  8)

Would love to do it again, but alas - next year is out.. :-[

Could possibly see you on the road to Namibia End april beginining May