Cederberg 31/1st....Cruisers & Boozers..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Pete

Teach Peace
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok so you all know what the Cederberg looks like....oh.....except Paulie! :deal: Welcome to your backyard bud! ;D

AntonW, Sprocketbek & ourselves hooked up at the Winestop on the N1 then met MrHyde in Ceres & onwards we rode. My clutch started dying on me so we topped off the resevoir with baby oil &  it worked ok. The following morning in Oasis we  McGyvered a syringe & pipe & filled from the bottom up pushing out the air bubbles.
The oil was siff.....should this not be on the service list along with the brake hydrolics? :deal:

All was well & we had a lekker brekkie & moved on toward Clan but the AntonW's bike lost all power so Gerrit from Oasis came to the rescue. You can get cell signal on top of Uitkyk Pass :thumleft:

Mr & Lorns then went to Algeria & Jamaka campsites to check 'em out then Lamberts for a bite in the harbour & on the way back stopped at Lebanon Citrus &  rode back to Oasis ....
It was great just cruising & not hot on the chase for a change 8)

Dump your stuff here!

Attachments

• Noob ride 006.jpg
    Noob ride 006.jpg
    173.3 KB
  • Noob ride 005.jpg
    Noob ride 005.jpg
    162.4 KB
Thanks for posting , going back there end of Sept, cant wait :biggrin:

We're all back OK.  :thumleft:
Will sort & post pictures later.

Was a lekker casual weekend: some stayed over 2 nights, some 1 night, some just popped in for coffee or a beer.

All was well & we had a lekker brekkie & moved on toward Clan but the AntonW's bike lost all power so Gerrit from Oasis came to the rescue. You can get cell signal on top of Uitkyk Pass

AntonW not again >:D

Moderators can we please open a donation account for our fellow dog :pot:

He loves to ride as we all do but he is worse than a women in the kitchen that can't cook at all. Pleas let's have a fundraiser and buy him a new stove/scoot :ricky:

AntonW Still the wiring loom or is it something else?

Maybe time for a bedroom build. I am sure some TLC and she will be good for another couple of years.

Thanks every one i had a lekker weekend and lekke ride!  :headbang:

So where are all those pieks?

Oh look ... a clutchless LC8  :bueller:

33494_429092352898_107475177898_4745123_4663324_n.jpg

33494_429092402898_107475177898_4745133_1901346_n.jpg

33494_429092482898_107475177898_4745149_6599960_n.jpg

33494_429092312898_107475177898_4745115_6778638_n.jpg

33494_429092372898_107475177898_4745127_5438125_n.jpg

Had a great ride back...  maar dit was koud!

Nice one Pete,I like that photo with you and your good lady..........you almost look normal. :mwink:

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Sorry Pete... No pics from me  ::)  Was too busy riding on Saturday & drinking Sat even  :p

Awesome weekend guys. Camelman, Bradleys & KTM Bigger trailed a lekker dirt route all the way from before Darling to the Cederberg Oasis.

We reacquainted ourselves with a short dirt stretch in between the Grotto Bay & Darling; Ran parallel to the railway tracks to Hopefield (lots of sandy sections); popped in to the local Hopefield pub (its got a priceless collection of old liquor advertising on the walls & Scope pics pasted to the bathroom walls  ;D ); Camelman guided us through the mountains all the way to Klawer.

From here we hit an awesome gravel road through to Engelsmansgraf - via Bushman's Cave. 

They tarred the road from Clanwilliam towards Calvinia  :dousing:  . Through to Wuppertal was incredible scenery, where we met up with MrHyde & Sprocketbek.

MrHyde was sporting the new Super Ten on a test ride... It feels like nothing I have ridden before - very low seat height, super smooth acceleration & the lowest center of gravity I have experience on 2 dirtwheels.

Wuppertal to the Cederberg Oasis via Eselbank was quite a workout. LOTS of lose gravel, between beeches of ball size rocks, and beds of sand. Just to make it even more fun, the sand had very deep ruts.

I have recently been trying an XT660 (from a 525) and with all the camping kit piled on, I felt every single extra kilo through the rocky sections.  :eek7:  Have also realised just how good my previous KTM525's WP sorted suspension was... The XT660's is real basic.

Anyway, we all made it through without any tumbles - always a good thing - and rounded the Cederberg bend to view the welcome sight of the Oasis... And the waiting ice cold beers.        ...And did they flow  >:D 

Great company. Have not laughed so much in a long time  :imaposer:  My sides still hurt. Great seeing AntonW, PistonPete and a number of other new & old faces again.

...Next morning. Early up for some lekker coffee (shot Camelman)  :thumleft:  Breakie then a quick ride through to Ceres, Bain's Kloof & home by 2pm - early enough to get some work done around the house and score some bonus points with the Mrs, for the next ride  ;)
Andy660... We missed you, Boet. Next time  :ricky:

Pistonpete said:
Where's the pics ???

Are you speaking to me or chewing a brick?   ::)

As mentioned, we were 4 bikes heading out on the Friday afternoon.

Anton W
004copy.jpg

AntonW again. Can't you see him?  ??? There he is, riding off into the sunset.
006B.jpg

So I'm waiting. And farting around.
007B.jpg

What am I waiting for? The next bike obviously.
Yamaha Super Tenere 1200. It's so quiet it caught me off gaurd.
012B.jpg

014B.jpg

Trying the ST out for size. It fits pretty well......
020B.jpg

But PP reckons if it's not an orange it must be a lemon.......
Meanwhile I'm feeling like William Tell's son.
022B.jpg

That evening we all had T-bones or rump steaks. Very good meal  :thumleft:
After that we had some OBS on the front stoep.
024B.jpg

025B.jpg

Unbelievably, by 10 p.m. everybody had ducked. Why am I always the last man standing?
Spot the WD stickers above the fridge door.
032B.jpg

Oasis before sunrise. I happened to be the first one up too. Didn't waste much time sleeping.
037B.jpg

Road from Ceres.
043B.jpg

Camping in the orchard.
048B.jpg

050B.jpg

052B.jpg

So everybody headed out for a day's riding, myself and MrHyde decided to go to Clanwilliam via Algeria and return via Wuppertal and Eselbank.
The Yamaha was a demo kindly supplied by Droomers, so it deserves some exposure (no pun intended).
This was at Sanddrif, which to my horror now has a bridge. Surely the place needs to be renamed?
065B.jpg

076B.jpg

This was in the newly tarred Pakhuis Pass. It's still a beautiful pass.
078B.jpg

I rode the Yamaha through the pass up to the turn-off at Englishman's Grave.
What a thrill! I must confess I was very impressed.
It will definitely go on my shortlist / wishlist.

Then some more pics on the way to Biedouw Valley.......pardon my indulgence.
081B.jpg

083B.jpg

090B.jpg

We were just wondering if we would run into the other crowd that was rumoured to come that way via Lambert's Bay when they arrived at Wuppertal
5 minutes after us.
Bradleys, Wayneh, KTM Bigger & Camelman.

We set off towards Eselbank, myself & MrHyde intending to continue at the unhurried pace we had (mostly) maintained up till then. I happened to be in front.
Couple of hundred metres before Eselbank Bradleys came past me at hooligan speed. Now that's an invite I'm not gonna leave there.........testosterone isn't just to do with reproduction, is it?  The two 640's were going up there like mountain goats with nitro-methane suppositories.

I kept close to his tail till about three-quarters way up when the realisation set in that I was being a bit foolish. I slowed down drastically and stopped at the sandy patches over the crest to take some pics.

Had plenty of time to get my camera out.

Wayneh with his Shimwell's Yamaha 660R:
093B.jpg

KTM Bigger:
100B.jpg

Camelman. It still confuses me to see him on a Yamaha:
105B.jpg

MrHyde:
111B.jpg

The stretch towards Oasis was very enjoyable, fairly technical terrain which demanded concentration. MrHyde was picking up the pace as he became more sure-footed.
Back at the Oasis we enjoyed a well-deserved beer or two, and washed it down with the usual kakpraat.
113B.jpg

Obviously some more kakpraat. I wasn't part of the conversation, it could have been about some medical procedure or about the price of bike spares.
114B.jpg

Somebody asked Bradleys:"Did it hurt?"
117B.jpg

How many DS riders does it take to fit a light bulb?
119B.jpg

Only one that seems to enjoy rock climbing  :eek:
120B.jpg

We had a braai on the stoep at the rear of the building. They are busy doing alterations on that side, enlarging the stoep considerably and building a new braai. Should be great when finished.
122B.jpg

The owner, Gerrit, is an astute businessman and is starting to keep spares for Yamaha SuperTen's:
125B.jpg

PistonPete looking very chuffed that his bike's clutch got fixed, I think:
127B.jpg

As mentioned in the Planning a Ride section, Ramskop Slagtery in Clanwilliam sell these pork ribs.........this one travelled up Eselbank and beyond on my bike's carrier. We had it well packaged though.
130B.jpg

Deja Vu???
136B.jpg

Thanks to Abel who was prepared to sacrifice his Saturday evening plans to help out with the recovery.
(If N[]va was there he could have towed the bike back to Cape Town, he he)

Upon request Cederberg Oasis will pitch a tent for you. No need to drag one along:
140B.jpg

With bedding, nogal:
142B.jpg

From my side thanks to all the WD's whom I could share this great weekend with  :thumleft:
And to our ever helpful hosts Gerrit & Chantal  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

And then it was the road back to civilisation:
151B.jpg

U guys had a good time there again, Oasis & Cederberg never disappoints us!

Chantal & Gerrit are amazing with their hospitality, they go out of there way for all the people.  A big bonus i find is the tent setup they provide with all the bedding, absolute comfort guaranteed :thumleft:

nice photos sprocketbek ;)

:thumleft: Nous ek alweer jaloers oor ek nie kon kom nie- volgende keer mis ek nie uit nie :mwink: